A good car with some problems.
By Tonisama on
2000 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan
Good: Interior build quality and control layout is hard to beat in a car of this price. Controls are all well placed and materials are high quality. The car is very comfortable to drive. Bad: Engine is noticeably loud in the upper RPM ranges. Automatic transmission is not very smooth between shifts. Engine downshifts as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, then abruptly shifts back up into previous gear. Causes car to lose speed even when traveling downhill! Strange black trim pieces gave me pause. Why didn't Honda make the EX exterior trim, which was integrated and color matched, a standard on all trim levels.
Favorite Features
Great interior build quality. Nice driver comfort. Well placed controls. Honda reliability. Solid gas mileage. High resale value. I got the car for 1000$ below Edmunds TMV.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign that stupid transmission. Get rid of the dumb black trim pieces on LX, DX, HX trims. Could use a bit more power. Steering and brakes need to have more feel. Make the engine quieter and add more sound dampening material. All of these issues were addressed in 2001+ years.