Used 2000 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My baby!
By kmcphail

2000 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I love my Civic! Reliable, quite comfortable, and just the right size. This is the first Honda I've ever owned; I definitely would purchase another one. The 100,000 mile extended warranty ($850) purchased and financed when the vehicle was new proved to be about even in payback. The first repair occurring at 80K (rear seal leak) and a split manifold at 92K were both covered by the extended warranty, including car rental. The only other repairs were brakework at 90K and 106K plus a timing belt and water pump that I elected to replace at 105K as a preventative measure. The muffler is the original. Although I have 111,000 miles on the vehicle, it appears to be mechanically sound.

Favorite Features

I love the adjustable driver's seat! I can actually see the hood of this car. The gas mileage (34.7 overall) is fantastic! (FYI: around town mileage is only in the lower twenties.) The vehicle is pretty peppy when I'm flying solo.

Suggested Improvements

My 200+ pound husband says he's driven bigger go carts; the driver's seat in particular is cramped for large-framed people. The single CD player/radio that I upgraded to at purchase has an annoying incremental volume adjustment and so-so speakers. Trunk clearance for large objects is limited.

Best sportscar for the price
By jinx007

2000 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It's quick,a gas saver,and fun to drive. I traded my nissan maxima for a smaller car.I found my car after months of research.I love the attention it gets at stop lights and other places and I haven't even added the mods yets.

Favorite Features

v-tec engine, sporty look, parkability

Suggested Improvements

Needs better seats,a 6th gear,motorized antenna, and better stock tires

what a great deal!
By J the hustler

2000 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

this is by far the most fun to drive car i have ever owned and i have had many different cars in my life. the handling is amazing and the power that you get out of a little 1.6 liter engine is unbelievable. plenty of affordable mod's for this car available. i plan to keep this car as long as i can.

Favorite Features

8,000 rpm redline. dohc vtech engine. smooth handling. the look of the front grill(especially if you remove the H).

Suggested Improvements

more torque. bigger wheels and lower profile tires. maybe even a sixth gear would be nice for highway driving.

There's a reason they're so popular
By ThaDC511

2000 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used in January of 2004 with a shockingly low 20k miles on it. While car shopping, I said that I wanted a 4 Door Car and a car that was not a Civic. And look what I ended up with? A easy to drive car that gets you from point A to point B with no trouble at all. I had a 1996 Accord before this and I enjoy driving the Civic more. It hasn't had a problem, which is great for a college student like myself. Decent looking car with excellent sight lines for lane changes or parallel parking, but I do worry about it being stolen. After 6 months with the car, I found myself saying "I know why there's so many on the road."

Favorite Features

Easy to park due to sight lines and compact size. Comfortable backseat, my friends are surprised at how roomy it is back there (you'll really only fit 4 in the car comfortably, barring a very tall driver). Good fuel economy and trunk space for a car of this class.

Suggested Improvements

More low end torque, the uphills can be a struggle, especially with passengers. More cupholders would be nice. Less prone to theft somehow And who wouldn't want HIDs or navigation, but you can't have everything

A good car with some problems.
By Tonisama

2000 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Good: Interior build quality and control layout is hard to beat in a car of this price. Controls are all well placed and materials are high quality. The car is very comfortable to drive. Bad: Engine is noticeably loud in the upper RPM ranges. Automatic transmission is not very smooth between shifts. Engine downshifts as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, then abruptly shifts back up into previous gear. Causes car to lose speed even when traveling downhill! Strange black trim pieces gave me pause. Why didn't Honda make the EX exterior trim, which was integrated and color matched, a standard on all trim levels.

Favorite Features

Great interior build quality. Nice driver comfort. Well placed controls. Honda reliability. Solid gas mileage. High resale value. I got the car for 1000$ below Edmunds TMV.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign that stupid transmission. Get rid of the dumb black trim pieces on LX, DX, HX trims. Could use a bit more power. Steering and brakes need to have more feel. Make the engine quieter and add more sound dampening material. All of these issues were addressed in 2001+ years.