OK, but not as good as my last Honda
By K.S. on
1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan
I had a 1991 Accord before this car. To be fair, we have put a lot of city miles on it and it's up to 130k now. But I look to put 200k minimum on a Honda, and I'm not going to get that with this one. The engine is great, but I've had repeated problems with the exhaust system falling out and the brake system breaking all the time, despite excellent maintenance on my behalf and from the car's first owners. I spend about $1500/year fixing this car. Now the transmission is getting ready to die, which I suspect will be a more costly repair than the car is now worth, so I am going to trade it in soon. I would still consider a Honda again, but never again a Honda with automatic transmission.
Favorite Features
Fuel economy, cheap cost of car, has been reliable for a 12-year-old car. Trunk is shockingly roomy for a small sedan. Engine has never leaked or burned oil.
Suggested Improvements
Everything that isn't the engine is not very well- made. Exhaust fell out on interstate, was replaced with Honda parts, then fell out again. Transmission is not good; sluggish response makes driving a scary penance. 4-cyl. engine is great on flats but not powerful enough to get the car uphill.