Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Amazing First Car
By Hyduk87

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

My first car. Now that doesn't mean I haven't seen many cars, or experienced many. I've driven quite a few, I've never actually purchased one myself though. But, as for this 99 Civic, I can tell you, even with the problems I got with the car, this is still great. First, the problems. I got the car used, 103k miles. The dash lights won't turn on anymore (my guess is someone messing with the stereo didn't disconnect the battery and fried my instrument panel) but all other electrical stuff works great! Also, the car was tuned a little bit, low ride height and sports suspension. Makes for a bumpy ride and frame damage going over big bumps or steep driveways.

Favorite Features

Now, the good: The car gets GREAT gas mileage, even for an automatic; I'm averaging 35, with most in the city, so above estimates. Performance - for a small engine, 120 or so hp (added air intake and exhaust systems) this car can zip around really well. The interior is well done as well.

Suggested Improvements

Well, the dash is pretty plain, I may be upgrading that to fix it. The exterior black right around the window is flaking away, seems to happen on every Civic I've seen. But really, it's Honda. Cheap to fix, runs great, awesome MPG, great installed stereo and PLENTY of upgrade options.

As good as it gets!
By Noles

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This is a flat out great car. Unmatched reliability for a great price. I have only 84,000 miles on mine and each time I think about getting a new car, I just think about how little it cost me to own this car and I keep it. I get between 300-330 miles between fill-ups and I have never had any problem with the car. Just had routine maintenance done.

Favorite Features

moon roof

Suggested Improvements

a little more head room for us tall people!

Great little car
By happyinmt

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car 6 years ago and have never had any problems with it. I've done routine oil changes and had the brakes replaced, timing belt replaced and some new tires. There is only 105,000 miles on it, and it can easily go at least another 100,000. It gets great gas mileage and is a fun car to drive. I will be sad to sell it for something bigger.

Favorite Features

Getting into little parking spots, and it just looks cool and runs great.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders, (there are only two) are really shallow and drinks fall over frequently. It gets slowed down when you are going uphill on the highway.

my son's civic
By Mary

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought the 99 civic for my 17 year old son with 82,000 miles on it. It has been a solid car and he has not had any mechanical problems. He gets about 32 miles per gallon average. It is sporty, fun to drive, and it seems to be what all the young men are looking for. He plans on keeping it through his four years of college and I believe that it will last that long if not longer.

Favorite Features

sporty, reliable, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

the cup holders are in an odd place

the highest R.O.I.
By crack

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Cars are money pits. There is no way to "win". This is BY FAR the closest I have come to beating the system. 163,750 miles with NO major repairs. Distributor (O2 sensor) is only repair. Replaced trunk shocks but I put a lot of wear on them. I have been using the car for the last 18 months to do landscaping! My friends laughed at me at first but at 35-40 MPG I am laughing all the way PAST the gas station! Will need clutch work soon and I will not hesitate to invest in this car. I am confident I will put 300,000 miles on this car before I am done with it.

Favorite Features

40 MPG highway! great handling, easy to park, hatchback offers more room for stuff in the back than small SUV'S

Suggested Improvements

pretty no frills interior but not to the point of being a disappointment