Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Love My 99 Civic

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 99 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission back in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It currently has 122,000 miles on it and has never given me any problems. I did replace the power window regulator and the CV axle boots (a very common problem on this generation Civic), however nothing else other than routine maintenance. My previous 87 Civic was still running well at 241,000 miles when I sold it, so I believe that this one will last at least as long. I love my Civic!

Average gas mileage of 30 miles per gallon and nice styling.

A bit more power would be nice, but can't have everything.

The Gold Standard
By RT

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Manual trans, upholstery, mpg, dash

None. Did I mention I love this car?

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

Smooth ride, gas mileage, reliability, low cost of services, cheap parts, and the great work that Honda puts into their cars. That's why they last like they do.

The single cam engines lack performance, but, they have great gas mileage, so its worth the sacrifice. It just seems the single cams barely have enough power to move the car.

99 Honda Civic HX
By mark

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2005 and so far haven't had any major problems. If you are having transmission problems with this car it is the starter clutch kit that needs replacing. This has been a problem for 99-00 Honda Civics. It cost $1900 to fix at dealership. No major problems with car at all. Right now car runs rough in wet weather. Has only 93k on it. The CVT transmission is what makes the car noisy. Car might need a new distributor or o2 sensor if running rough in wet weather. Car is in great shape and body holds up very well if you wax it every six months. No major complaints so far!

I'll keep it until the wheels fall off
By BustedFlush

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Has it been 10 years? I used to live very close to work, so my Civic only has 95,000 miles on it. Had to replace the exhaust line (Ohio winters mean salt trucks) but otherwise no serious issues. Had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, timing belt and a tune up around 85,000. Someone asked me why I buy cars (depreciating asset) instead of leasing - this is why. Mechanic says this car is just getting warmed up and I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

Utterly reliable.

Would it kill Honda to put decent speakers in a car? This is the EX which has the better sound system and the speakers were still crap.