Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

Smooth ride, gas mileage, reliability, low cost of services, cheap parts, and the great work that Honda puts into their cars. That's why they last like they do.

The single cam engines lack performance, but, they have great gas mileage, so its worth the sacrifice. It just seems the single cams barely have enough power to move the car.

99 Honda Civic HX
By mark

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2005 and so far haven't had any major problems. If you are having transmission problems with this car it is the starter clutch kit that needs replacing. This has been a problem for 99-00 Honda Civics. It cost $1900 to fix at dealership. No major problems with car at all. Right now car runs rough in wet weather. Has only 93k on it. The CVT transmission is what makes the car noisy. Car might need a new distributor or o2 sensor if running rough in wet weather. Car is in great shape and body holds up very well if you wax it every six months. No major complaints so far!

I'll keep it until the wheels fall off
By BustedFlush

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Has it been 10 years? I used to live very close to work, so my Civic only has 95,000 miles on it. Had to replace the exhaust line (Ohio winters mean salt trucks) but otherwise no serious issues. Had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, timing belt and a tune up around 85,000. Someone asked me why I buy cars (depreciating asset) instead of leasing - this is why. Mechanic says this car is just getting warmed up and I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

Utterly reliable.

Would it kill Honda to put decent speakers in a car? This is the EX which has the better sound system and the speakers were still crap.

99 Civic Lx
By CarGUy

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Great car so far, no problems what so ever. Added some upgrades and have turned this blah looking car into something real cool to look at and drive, really a chick car but worth the money for a reliable small car.

Believe it, this car is very comfortable

Nothing really

Great Car
By B Becket

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

When gas prices approached $4.00 a gallon with no end in sight decided to get a car that would get better gas mileage than my Tundra. After doing some research on various makes and models of cars I decided on getting a used Honda Civic. I purchased a 1999 Honda Civic with 112,000 miles on it in May of '08. I drove the car from California to Utah and got 39 mpg consistently. Around town the car has averaged between 27 and 32 mpg. From all I've read and heard about the Honda Civic I'm convinced it's one of the most reliable and cost efficient cars you can own. Solid, reliable, and economical describes the Honda Civic.

Gas mileage, reliability, economical to operate and maintain.

None