1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Buy
By 1st car on 06/07/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since my senior year in High School. Nine years and one son later I still enjoy my silver civic. Paint is still holding up and still looks beautiful under the the California sun. True it has a bit of sentimental value but it also has monetary value. I've kept up the maintenance with no problems at all; great. The cabin does gets a bit noisy during freeway but not a huge issue. You learn to be frugal as a teenage father and college student; so this purchase made life a bit easier. When you want reliability turn to good ol' Honda.

Great lil' car
By Honch on 04/03/08 15:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

After a lot of research, reading and having only $5000 to buy a car with, I went for this 99 Civic EX. I can say I don't regret the decision. I bought it with 150K on the clock and it starts / runs just like a brand new car. Very impressed. I have a feeling I will get a solid 75K to 100K more from this lil' car before any major replacements will be needed.

T otally Disappointed
By Ginger on 03/23/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car without hesitation because of my experience with my previous 88 Civic which was the perfect car...great gas mileage and NEVER gave me even the slightest problem. This one has been troublesome from the get go. Everything about it just seemed cheap and flimsy. But my major problems were mechanical. I kept having to take it to the shop because of the oxygen sensor which for some reason the dealership couldn't get corrected. Then my transmission had to be replaced as soon as the warranty run out. The current transmission is not doing too well either. It feels as if it's out of line, but I have had it aligned twice and nothing helps. This car has soured me on Honda.

Money Well Spent
By unkqty on 12/24/07 12:11 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Second satisfied owner - purchased 4 years ago w/upgraded suspension, stereo, & intake. I really like the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off. Although its first and foremost an economy car, it's a really good one. Gets 25-35mpg on 32mi suburban commute and >36 on long trips (more w/synthetic oil). Although it gasps (35mph) over Colorado's I70 mountain passes, it otherwise offers surprising performance. Requires only routine maintenance, much of which can be performed by owner. Unfortunately, arrogant attitude at several dealerships is that Hondas sell themselves, so they don't have to work as hard or appreciate the customer as much - a real turn-off for me.

Incredible car
By Drew Hyatt on 11/14/07 22:32 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for over a year now and it currently has over 185k on it. Six mo. after getting it my brother got the tail end hit by a truck and bent the frame but I didn't know until 2 mo. later when I was working on the dent. It still handled great and I found it had been in at least 2 more unreported accidents but you couldn't tell from driving. I even put it in a ditch and a 4 wheel alignment later it drove just like before. I had a minor electrical issue that no one but the Honda people could find, but other than that no problems(it will drive 100mi w/o alternator w/ 5spd, nothing on, and starting twice). Amazing car and I will be sorry to see it go to get a lower mileage one.

Civic is best among all Sedans
By Harsha on 11/14/07 10:32 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I have owned Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry and Honda Civic. Civic is the best in terms of reliability, maintenance, gas mileage etc. I get 36 miles per gallon in city and 40 miles per gallon on highways. Very happy to own Civic in this high gas prices era. My next car would be Honda Civic Hybrid. Period

Reliable puppy
By Hobbes on 11/09/07 06:12 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I owned this puppy from new. Never been stranded so far. Maintained always at Honda dealers. Flooded out once only to the wet carpet level in a car park! Lose wire which I fixed myself using an ODBII scanner. Great MPG, average over 30. Spend only about $US 18 per week and that is with gasoline at US $3.29 a gallon!

Civic Si. Vtec Love
By parknfly on 11/05/07 17:21 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

If you'r ethinking about buying this car, just do it. I never had a single problem with it since a year of ownership and its almost 9 years old. (the most relible car I have ever came across even more than some other Hondas I've owned) Dohc Vtec is very fun and the handling is amazing. The only downside of this Japanese perfection is that it gets a lot of attention from people and theives. I'm scared to leave it parked in the mall due to it getting attention. Just recently I went to a dealership to look for a car for a friend. And the salesman was all over my si:) I think he wanted to buy it. This car will be a classic in about 5 years so they are worth holding on to.

What a Car!!!
By Barry on 07/19/07 09:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used, but I plan to buy a new Honda if and when this car gives it up. But it shows no signs of doing anything of the sort. I get 40+ mpg (OK, maybe I am a bit of a hypermiler). It helps that it was well-maintained by the previous owner, and I am also keeping it fine-tuned, well-oiled and clean. It is extremely reliable, stylish, and economical... everything I want in an auto. Interior is a tad small, but I do not really care since the pluses completely outweigh this one concern. The trunk is very roomy. The ride is smooth, the pep is just fine, and it is significantly more quiet than I expected. I give this car a TEN - absolutely!

Happy Honda Owner
By Love my honda on 05/22/07 11:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

This is our 4th Civic and has been a low cost car to operate with a reliable engine and transmission. We bought this one new and replaced brakes, tires exhaust and alternator by 150K. Repaired electric locks but driver's door is manual since repair is too expensive. With an A/T hill climbing is tough with the A/C on or with a full load of people or luggage. A/C is weak. It has more rattles and noise than our other cars developed and dings easily. There is no trunk light. The trunk opening is poorly designed and tends to channel rain into the tail lights and into the trunk. Cup holder design and location is poor as is charger location. Small items that irritate after 9 years.