Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just ok i guess
By buddman

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

EX is a nice package for an economy car. Manuel transmission has its pluses as well. Decent mileage on flat Louisiana roads is a disappointment (32 mpg). but overall from 66K to 100K one thing after another is breaking. Master cylinder replaced distributor replaced. Timing belt and water pump replaced as recommended so I knew that going into it. Rear passenger door will not open at all, cruse control broken, CD player broken, paint chipping on bumper, steering wheel chipping and uncomfortable, horn pad broken off, muffler falling off. Can't think of anything else but i know i am missing a thing or two.

The car is/was nice when everything was working. Sunroof is nice. Overall i am keeping it because it is paid for.

With all the above wrong you would think i was talking about a domestic. But I have had two Fords and even a Saturn that held up better than this Honda. I am a Drivers Ed. teacher part time who takes care of his car but overall it has been a disappointing experience.

Great little car
By Benjamin

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Got it with about 92k in October(now @ 110k). I voluntarily replaced my water pump & timing belt before it hit 100k, new brake pads (front & back), and rotors. Only engine mods are a Cold-air intake & pulleys done by the previous owner who I'm guessing drove it hard. Window regulators need changed soon, and A/C compressor needs replaced. Drives great, consistently get around 30-32 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving, and I drive very aggressively & fly on the highway 75+ miles/hr Replaced stereo & speakers and tinted the windows slightly for a more enjoyable ride. If you're looking for a low-maintenance car, get a 5spd EX for max fun without as much worry of theft as the SI.

Sunroof, Power windows, Cruise Control, easy to change oil

Extremely useless cup holders, change location of cigarette lighter, have the DOHC instead of the SOHC, takes some work to change driver's headlight bulb

Most reliable car I've had
By Ellery

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 99 Civic EX with 60,000 miles from a dealership in 2003. Over 7 years later she's still running like a champ at 190,000 miles. I've only had to replace the belts once and have the routine oil changes and fluid flushes. She has survived three minor accidents without damaging anything mechanical - just the window controls/trunk seals aren't up to snuff now. Hoping she makes another 100,000! You can't beat the value/longevity of this vehicle!

I still love driving this car, how it feels faster on the road and can fit anywhere. I am not the gentlest of drivers and every part on her has lasted longer than expected. Oh, and I'm still averaging 30+ mpg on this 11 yr old vehicle - gotta love that!

The only thing I loathe about this vehicle are the cup holders - my nemesis on many an occasion , there are stains aplenty on my carpet to attest they are not nearly deep enough to keep anything in them around a curve.

1999 Honda civic ex couple in silver
By David

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for 6 months now, and I love it. I bought it with 81,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. If you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance this car will run like a top. In cold weather the gas mileage will be in the mid to high 20's in the city and low 30's highway. Summertime the gas mileage has been better I'm in low 30's all the time and almost got to 36 on the last tank which was mostly city driving, I throw it in neutral and coast down hills when I can that makes the mpg go up. This car has power if you want to use it you have to shift over 5500 rpm for the V-TEC to kick in and then it's fast.

Manual get it, it's more fun and you get better gas mileage. Sunroof, power locks, windows, mirrors, cold AC, awesome styling I have a stock spoiler that looks great on it. Good amount of room in all seats, I'm 5'9" and fit well, not a car for really big people. V-Tec engine!

It's pretty much perfect with the balance of gas mileage and power but I guess they could always be better. But for the money you can't go wrong.

OK, but not as good as my last Honda
By K.S.

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I had a 1991 Accord before this car. To be fair, we have put a lot of city miles on it and it's up to 130k now. But I look to put 200k minimum on a Honda, and I'm not going to get that with this one. The engine is great, but I've had repeated problems with the exhaust system falling out and the brake system breaking all the time, despite excellent maintenance on my behalf and from the car's first owners. I spend about $1500/year fixing this car. Now the transmission is getting ready to die, which I suspect will be a more costly repair than the car is now worth, so I am going to trade it in soon. I would still consider a Honda again, but never again a Honda with automatic transmission.

Fuel economy, cheap cost of car, has been reliable for a 12-year-old car. Trunk is shockingly roomy for a small sedan. Engine has never leaked or burned oil.

Everything that isn't the engine is not very well- made. Exhaust fell out on interstate, was replaced with Honda parts, then fell out again. Transmission is not good; sluggish response makes driving a scary penance. 4-cyl. engine is great on flats but not powerful enough to get the car uphill.