Used 1999 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

OK, but not as good as my last Honda
By K.S.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I had a 1991 Accord before this car. To be fair, we have put a lot of city miles on it and it's up to 130k now. But I look to put 200k minimum on a Honda, and I'm not going to get that with this one. The engine is great, but I've had repeated problems with the exhaust system falling out and the brake system breaking all the time, despite excellent maintenance on my behalf and from the car's first owners. I spend about $1500/year fixing this car. Now the transmission is getting ready to die, which I suspect will be a more costly repair than the car is now worth, so I am going to trade it in soon. I would still consider a Honda again, but never again a Honda with automatic transmission.

Fuel economy, cheap cost of car, has been reliable for a 12-year-old car. Trunk is shockingly roomy for a small sedan. Engine has never leaked or burned oil.

Everything that isn't the engine is not very well- made. Exhaust fell out on interstate, was replaced with Honda parts, then fell out again. Transmission is not good; sluggish response makes driving a scary penance. 4-cyl. engine is great on flats but not powerful enough to get the car uphill.

Great Car!!
By Holajn

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in October 2009. At first I had to replace the exhaust system since it was rusting. 375 dollars later it is all better and this car is running great! I am a student and drive less than 30 miles per week, I get such great mileage. For a 1.6 4-cyl the engine is very quick. The V-TEC really helps too. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants outstanding reliability and great gas mileage!

Interior fit and finish. Engine. Mileage!

Except for the exhaust system, there is nothing that I would recommend to improve!

Methuselahmobile
By Steve B.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove my Civic DX away from the dealer in March, 1999 and there are now 156K miles on the odometer. Although carefully maintained, this car has never been garaged and has spent her entire life in the frozen north (Michigan & Upstate New York). My daily commute runs between 70-80 miles. Except for a slightly leaky water pump at 70k and the odd rusty muffler/tailpipe, there have been no repair issues outside the normal service schedule. (The clutch is original.) My Civic still delivers 35- 40 mpg if driven rationally; expect a little less with 4 snow tires.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Stall out up here during the winter months, and you may end up looking like that neolithic dude they found in the Swiss Alps a few years back. Of course, the superlative gas mileage is a plus, too.

A slightly more powerful engine would be helpful. Passing a tractor trailer on a two lane highway with 117 HP is somewhat an act of faith.

Big Mistake
By Ginger

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

Gas mileage

Fix the oxygen sensor, transmission and air conditioning.

I love this car
By jms

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my grandma after she had it for 4 years. I have spent a bit on it replacing the exhaust system (from sitting in a parking lot for 4 years and not being driven when my grandma owned it), but it has been reliable for me the entire time I have had it. I have had to put virtually no money in this car and it always seems to run perfectly!

Roomy trunk, very reliable, low maintenance, good gas mileage (roughly 33mpg +/-), nothing to complain about.

My car came with basic AM/FM radio. A CD player or cassette deck would have been a nice feature.