1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
What do you expect?...it's a Honda.
By nano on 12/25/09 22:03 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

I was in high school when this came out. I knew I had to have me one, finally after 10 years I put my hands on one. Let me tell you that all the waiting paid off. Fantastic little engine, great interior, great handling, electron blue pearl. I have, am and will be a Honda fan, thanks to this car.

Big Mistake
By Ginger on 11/01/09 20:31 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

I love this car
By jms on 09/27/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my grandma after she had it for 4 years. I have spent a bit on it replacing the exhaust system (from sitting in a parking lot for 4 years and not being driven when my grandma owned it), but it has been reliable for me the entire time I have had it. I have had to put virtually no money in this car and it always seems to run perfectly!

Well rounded car!!
By Jeff W. on 08/20/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car while in high school in 2007; have averaged 20K a year of mostly city driving and I have had no problems! The fuel economy is second-to-none for the model year... though hybrids may give this Civic a run for its money, for the price, this Civic cannot be matched. Power is decidedly anemic; I didn't buy this car to be a racer, but if you value acceleration at all, stay far, far away. Overall, very reliable, well designed, dependable car. While the power is not overwhelming, for the price, one cannot ask for more. My next purchase will be a Pilot though; the 5 speed in the Civic is fun and silky smooth, but considering the space, size, and power, I've outgrown this car.

Good value economy car
By Mike S on 07/24/09 07:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Out of college I had a long commute into work (about 75 miles a day) and bought this car as a result. I've put about 60k miles on it in the last two years. It does a great job providing cheap, reliable transportation. Gets 33 mpg and is simple to work on. The only things I have had to do are change the muffler and midpipe (both rusted out) and driver's side window regulator. I also just recently put in Tokico HP struts because the old ones had lost a lot of their damping ability at 155k. In another year or so I'll do the timing belt/water pump. Still has the original clutch, we'll see how long it goes.

Wish I still had my '91
By Redrock on 06/18/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought this DX without test driving because I loved my '91 DX. Mistake. Honda completely changed the ergonomics: being 5'1" tall, I'm unable to rest my right heel on the floor, am too close to the airbag, and the seatbelt cuts across my throat. I hate having to drive with my toes while my arms are cramped against the wheel. The throttle cable kinks and needs cleaning or replacement twice a year, otherwise the accelerator sticks. Whenever it rains hard, there is a gallon of water in the spare tire well. Mileage went DOWN from my '91 from 39 to 33 MPG average. Middle of the line stereo speakers blew quickly.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Love My 99 Civic on 05/21/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 99 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission back in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It currently has 122,000 miles on it and has never given me any problems. I did replace the power window regulator and the CV axle boots (a very common problem on this generation Civic), however nothing else other than routine maintenance. My previous 87 Civic was still running well at 241,000 miles when I sold it, so I believe that this one will last at least as long. I love my Civic!

The Gold Standard
By RT on 04/09/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate on 03/22/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

99 Honda Civic HX
By mark on 03/09/09 01:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2005 and so far haven't had any major problems. If you are having transmission problems with this car it is the starter clutch kit that needs replacing. This has been a problem for 99-00 Honda Civics. It cost $1900 to fix at dealership. No major problems with car at all. Right now car runs rough in wet weather. Has only 93k on it. The CVT transmission is what makes the car noisy. Car might need a new distributor or o2 sensor if running rough in wet weather. Car is in great shape and body holds up very well if you wax it every six months. No major complaints so far!