226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234 on
1999 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback
The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car. Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires. I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.
Favorite Features
I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper. There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The double wishbone suspension is very nice, especially with the help of good tires and a beefy rear sway bar bought on Ebay. The rear bumper's support beam has lot of pre-drilled and smoothed holes so I could mount a genuine train bell in under there with Zip ties! It's a crazy easy moddable car.
Suggested Improvements
Wish my car had a drivetrain like this;;; Direct Injection Auto start/stop Electrical system recuperation (what Buick calls E-assist) Cylinder deactivation Lean burn (if emissions can stay low enough, like the Civic HX) A-VTEC (advanced VTEC) Atkinson valve behavior when engine load is low for more MPG (Honda Earth Dreams engines) Have dashboard illumination lights be more accessible for replacing. Have audio-in jack built into radio. Have paddle shifters so I can shift early to save gas. Have the transmission lock up in more gears than just 3rd (at about 66MPH) and 4th (at about 53MPH) for more MPG. Better interior lighting (too dim) and have a trunk light. Had to mod up lights myself.
By danwat1234
on 02/13/13 18:28 PM (PST)

By the way, this review is of a coupe with automatic transmision not hatchback. I now have 229,300 miles on it.