Used 1999 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Eh... Automatic DX
By laken

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

As you read this, please keep in mind that this was my second vehicle and I purchased it from an individual who bought it new from the dealership. When I purchased the vehicle in 2010 the guy handed me a grocery bag full of receipts from all of the maintenance he had to do while he owned it - red flag #1. 2 years later I have had to replace the exhaust manifold and the radiator. Also, the air conditioner is broken and I refuse to fix it for $900. I'm pretty sure it eats spark plugs and wires because I've replaced them twice. It sounds terrible when I'm driving on the highway, shaking & whatnot. However I do drive it a lot and I have put about 40k miles on it and I also get 35-40MPG.

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage and has only broken down on me one time and that was a radiator problem (it basically exploded).

Suggested Improvements

It's uncomfortable, it sounds awful (all of them, not just mine), and it really has a lot of problems.

What an amazing little car
By gmlover777

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was an amazing car, we bought it in 2000 with 15,000km on it, so it was basically new. It's a 5-speed manual gas millage was amazing. We only changed the breaks and the oil on it, and the only problem we had was the gauge light would come on for no reason but we got it fixed which cost use 35 bucks$!!. Well it's one of the most reliable cars we've ever had, gas millage is amazing. We got rid of it this year because we dint need it anymore it was more of a spare vehicle for use. We got ride of it with 277,500km on it, and there was only a little rust on it. I could of kept it but it served no more use for use since it was a bit old as well.

Favorite Features

Material seats, Reliability, 5-speed manual transmission, easy to use climate control

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Honda civc LX sedan auto wasn't a mistake
By omar_eita

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

keep in mind the car is cheap it's not a bmw or Mercedes I was a senior in high-school when i got this car I really needed a car for my work rides and college. NC doesn't have public transportation. I bought this car 2008 it had 110k on it now it has 140k on it and i absolutely don't regret buying it i only spent money on normal maintenance. it drives really nice and the interior compared to similar cars in it is class is far better i don't think there is a car that can beat that civic 1999-2000 too bad though they had it for 2 years. I'm giving this one to my younger brother since he will need it soon too.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy 27 mixed 30-33 highway yes still doing that until now! in 2011 almost 2012.

Suggested Improvements

well the engine if it was only 1.8 i will be very very happy but the A/C kills the 1.6l and i almost always have to red line the rpm to get it up hill with the a/c on and it can't carry more than 2 people trust me a 3rd with a/c and the engine will not pick up at all, handling is horrible thank god it doesn't snow this much in NC or i will be ice skating all winter.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By Izzy M.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I picked my car coming off the car trailer at my dealership and I knew this car was for me. After 247K+ , this car has gotten me everywhere I have asked it to and back. Replacing normal wear & tear parts has kept me happy.

Favorite Features

The Teal color with gray cloth interior, sleek design prior to "aero-dynamic design", the fold down rear seats for extra cargo room, and all controls ease of reach and durability.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a better trunk lock by driver seat and would prefer a wire antenna versus a rear windshield antenna.

Just ok i guess
By buddman

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

EX is a nice package for an economy car. Manuel transmission has its pluses as well. Decent mileage on flat Louisiana roads is a disappointment (32 mpg). but overall from 66K to 100K one thing after another is breaking. Master cylinder replaced distributor replaced. Timing belt and water pump replaced as recommended so I knew that going into it. Rear passenger door will not open at all, cruse control broken, CD player broken, paint chipping on bumper, steering wheel chipping and uncomfortable, horn pad broken off, muffler falling off. Can't think of anything else but i know i am missing a thing or two.

Favorite Features

The car is/was nice when everything was working. Sunroof is nice. Overall i am keeping it because it is paid for.

Suggested Improvements

With all the above wrong you would think i was talking about a domestic. But I have had two Fords and even a Saturn that held up better than this Honda. I am a Drivers Ed. teacher part time who takes care of his car but overall it has been a disappointing experience.