1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car!!
By Holajn on 01/23/10 18:45 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in October 2009. At first I had to replace the exhaust system since it was rusting. 375 dollars later it is all better and this car is running great! I am a student and drive less than 30 miles per week, I get such great mileage. For a 1.6 4-cyl the engine is very quick. The V-TEC really helps too. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants outstanding reliability and great gas mileage!

Methuselahmobile
By Steve B. on 01/09/10 04:50 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove my Civic DX away from the dealer in March, 1999 and there are now 156K miles on the odometer. Although carefully maintained, this car has never been garaged and has spent her entire life in the frozen north (Michigan & Upstate New York). My daily commute runs between 70-80 miles. Except for a slightly leaky water pump at 70k and the odd rusty muffler/tailpipe, there have been no repair issues outside the normal service schedule. (The clutch is original.) My Civic still delivers 35- 40 mpg if driven rationally; expect a little less with 4 snow tires.

Big Mistake
By Ginger on 11/01/09 20:31 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

I love this car
By jms on 09/27/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my grandma after she had it for 4 years. I have spent a bit on it replacing the exhaust system (from sitting in a parking lot for 4 years and not being driven when my grandma owned it), but it has been reliable for me the entire time I have had it. I have had to put virtually no money in this car and it always seems to run perfectly!

The Gold Standard
By RT on 04/09/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate on 03/22/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

99 Civic Lx
By CarGUy on 02/06/09 19:05 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car so far, no problems what so ever. Added some upgrades and have turned this blah looking car into something real cool to look at and drive, really a chick car but worth the money for a reliable small car.

Great Car
By B Becket on 01/22/09 19:02 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

When gas prices approached $4.00 a gallon with no end in sight decided to get a car that would get better gas mileage than my Tundra. After doing some research on various makes and models of cars I decided on getting a used Honda Civic. I purchased a 1999 Honda Civic with 112,000 miles on it in May of '08. I drove the car from California to Utah and got 39 mpg consistently. Around town the car has averaged between 27 and 32 mpg. From all I've read and heard about the Honda Civic I'm convinced it's one of the most reliable and cost efficient cars you can own. Solid, reliable, and economical describes the Honda Civic.

Great Buy
By 1st car on 06/07/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since my senior year in High School. Nine years and one son later I still enjoy my silver civic. Paint is still holding up and still looks beautiful under the the California sun. True it has a bit of sentimental value but it also has monetary value. I've kept up the maintenance with no problems at all; great. The cabin does gets a bit noisy during freeway but not a huge issue. You learn to be frugal as a teenage father and college student; so this purchase made life a bit easier. When you want reliability turn to good ol' Honda.

T otally Disappointed
By Ginger on 03/23/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car without hesitation because of my experience with my previous 88 Civic which was the perfect car...great gas mileage and NEVER gave me even the slightest problem. This one has been troublesome from the get go. Everything about it just seemed cheap and flimsy. But my major problems were mechanical. I kept having to take it to the shop because of the oxygen sensor which for some reason the dealership couldn't get corrected. Then my transmission had to be replaced as soon as the warranty run out. The current transmission is not doing too well either. It feels as if it's out of line, but I have had it aligned twice and nothing helps. This car has soured me on Honda.