1999 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Love My 99 Civic

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 99 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission back in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It currently has 122,000 miles on it and has never given me any problems. I did replace the power window regulator and the CV axle boots (a very common problem on this generation Civic), however nothing else other than routine maintenance. My previous 87 Civic was still running well at 241,000 miles when I sold it, so I believe that this one will last at least as long. I love my Civic!

Favorite Features

Average gas mileage of 30 miles per gallon and nice styling.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, but can't have everything.

99 Honda Civic HX
By mark

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2005 and so far haven't had any major problems. If you are having transmission problems with this car it is the starter clutch kit that needs replacing. This has been a problem for 99-00 Honda Civics. It cost $1900 to fix at dealership. No major problems with car at all. Right now car runs rough in wet weather. Has only 93k on it. The CVT transmission is what makes the car noisy. Car might need a new distributor or o2 sensor if running rough in wet weather. Car is in great shape and body holds up very well if you wax it every six months. No major complaints so far!

I'll keep it until the wheels fall off
By BustedFlush

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Has it been 10 years? I used to live very close to work, so my Civic only has 95,000 miles on it. Had to replace the exhaust line (Ohio winters mean salt trucks) but otherwise no serious issues. Had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, timing belt and a tune up around 85,000. Someone asked me why I buy cars (depreciating asset) instead of leasing - this is why. Mechanic says this car is just getting warmed up and I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

Favorite Features

Utterly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Would it kill Honda to put decent speakers in a car? This is the EX which has the better sound system and the speakers were still crap.

Amazing First Car
By Hyduk87

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

My first car. Now that doesn't mean I haven't seen many cars, or experienced many. I've driven quite a few, I've never actually purchased one myself though. But, as for this 99 Civic, I can tell you, even with the problems I got with the car, this is still great. First, the problems. I got the car used, 103k miles. The dash lights won't turn on anymore (my guess is someone messing with the stereo didn't disconnect the battery and fried my instrument panel) but all other electrical stuff works great! Also, the car was tuned a little bit, low ride height and sports suspension. Makes for a bumpy ride and frame damage going over big bumps or steep driveways.

Favorite Features

Now, the good: The car gets GREAT gas mileage, even for an automatic; I'm averaging 35, with most in the city, so above estimates. Performance - for a small engine, 120 or so hp (added air intake and exhaust systems) this car can zip around really well. The interior is well done as well.

Suggested Improvements

Well, the dash is pretty plain, I may be upgrading that to fix it. The exterior black right around the window is flaking away, seems to happen on every Civic I've seen. But really, it's Honda. Cheap to fix, runs great, awesome MPG, great installed stereo and PLENTY of upgrade options.

As good as it gets!
By Noles

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This is a flat out great car. Unmatched reliability for a great price. I have only 84,000 miles on mine and each time I think about getting a new car, I just think about how little it cost me to own this car and I keep it. I get between 300-330 miles between fill-ups and I have never had any problem with the car. Just had routine maintenance done.

Favorite Features

moon roof

Suggested Improvements

a little more head room for us tall people!

Great little car
By happyinmt

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car 6 years ago and have never had any problems with it. I've done routine oil changes and had the brakes replaced, timing belt replaced and some new tires. There is only 105,000 miles on it, and it can easily go at least another 100,000. It gets great gas mileage and is a fun car to drive. I will be sad to sell it for something bigger.

Favorite Features

Getting into little parking spots, and it just looks cool and runs great.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders, (there are only two) are really shallow and drinks fall over frequently. It gets slowed down when you are going uphill on the highway.

my son's civic
By Mary

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought the 99 civic for my 17 year old son with 82,000 miles on it. It has been a solid car and he has not had any mechanical problems. He gets about 32 miles per gallon average. It is sporty, fun to drive, and it seems to be what all the young men are looking for. He plans on keeping it through his four years of college and I believe that it will last that long if not longer.

Favorite Features

sporty, reliable, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

the cup holders are in an odd place

Eh...
By Pryscila

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car so I babied it. While I have had it over 4 years i've had to replace the AC and the radiator. The car has 146,000 miles on it, and has NO way of going another 100k. My automatic transmission shifts very hard and sometimes doesn't shift, the car's RPM just keep rising until I decelerate. This is HORRIBLE getting onto the interstate or trying to pass a car. The car is not fun to drive. It's noisy and a bumpy ride. My gas mileage is about 27 mixed which is good. I have to put $45 in it every week. The car is also black which has faded in the Florida sun. The paint almost looks none finished.

Favorite Features

MPG, Comfort

Suggested Improvements

AC unit, Transmission.

Great lil' car
By Honch

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

After a lot of research, reading and having only $5000 to buy a car with, I went for this 99 Civic EX. I can say I don't regret the decision. I bought it with 150K on the clock and it starts / runs just like a brand new car. Very impressed. I have a feeling I will get a solid 75K to 100K more from this lil' car before any major replacements will be needed.

Favorite Features

- Good mileage - Auto trans shifts at the right moment - Intelligent interior layout - Large trunk - Switches are very solid - Stock speakers are impressive, especially in the bass dept.

Suggested Improvements

- Versus the Corolla I had, it falls short in 0-30 torque. - Road noise in the rear is noticeable (exhaust, rain kick-up from tires) - Fuel gauge seems to jump around quickly due to driving conditions (hills, braking, acceleration).

Incredible car
By Drew Hyatt

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for over a year now and it currently has over 185k on it. Six mo. after getting it my brother got the tail end hit by a truck and bent the frame but I didn't know until 2 mo. later when I was working on the dent. It still handled great and I found it had been in at least 2 more unreported accidents but you couldn't tell from driving. I even put it in a ditch and a 4 wheel alignment later it drove just like before. I had a minor electrical issue that no one but the Honda people could find, but other than that no problems(it will drive 100mi w/o alternator w/ 5spd, nothing on, and starting twice). Amazing car and I will be sorry to see it go to get a lower mileage one.

Favorite Features

Incredibly fun to drive, great on gas, good seats

Suggested Improvements

Give the tach standard on DX