Used 1999 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

1999 Honda civic ex couple in silver
By David

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for 6 months now, and I love it. I bought it with 81,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. If you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance this car will run like a top. In cold weather the gas mileage will be in the mid to high 20's in the city and low 30's highway. Summertime the gas mileage has been better I'm in low 30's all the time and almost got to 36 on the last tank which was mostly city driving, I throw it in neutral and coast down hills when I can that makes the mpg go up. This car has power if you want to use it you have to shift over 5500 rpm for the V-TEC to kick in and then it's fast.

Manual get it, it's more fun and you get better gas mileage. Sunroof, power locks, windows, mirrors, cold AC, awesome styling I have a stock spoiler that looks great on it. Good amount of room in all seats, I'm 5'9" and fit well, not a car for really big people. V-Tec engine!

It's pretty much perfect with the balance of gas mileage and power but I guess they could always be better. But for the money you can't go wrong.

I Love My Civic!
By alicia

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Civic for nearly 10 years. It is by far the best car I have ever had. I have done the necessary maintenance throughout the years. As a result, it has been very reliable and I've had no mechanical problems with it at all. It gets great gas mileage and is an inexpensive car to own/maintain. I would definitely purchase a Civic again.

It is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage, and most importantly it is reliable.

I have had issues over the years with the windows coming off track. This is the only annoyance I have experienced with this car.

Brilliant!
By rohan

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I will never sell this car! I have had it since 2007 and a lot of people tell me I need to upgrade to a better car. I never will, here are the secrets: - They only made a few Honda HX's. Its got a unique transmission that gives it appox 38 mpg. They stopped making the HX's so Honda could come up with its Hybrids! - I got the stickshft. I did change Timing Belt along with all belts/sparks and the ride is great. - I can go from Cleveland to Chicago/New York on one full tank of gas (which is all of 12 gallons!!!) - I put the best/premium gas - yes, thats how much I love this car LOL. Its got 136000 miles on it currently and I plan on driving it least to 300000...

36 mpg & Stickshift (great control and gas mileage)

Well rounded car!!
By Jeff W.

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car while in high school in 2007; have averaged 20K a year of mostly city driving and I have had no problems! The fuel economy is second-to-none for the model year... though hybrids may give this Civic a run for its money, for the price, this Civic cannot be matched. Power is decidedly anemic; I didn't buy this car to be a racer, but if you value acceleration at all, stay far, far away. Overall, very reliable, well designed, dependable car. While the power is not overwhelming, for the price, one cannot ask for more. My next purchase will be a Pilot though; the 5 speed in the Civic is fun and silky smooth, but considering the space, size, and power, I've outgrown this car.

Excellent reliability, fuel economy, low purchase price, decent styling.

None-- this car does all it ought to. Even at 6'5'', I easily fit and can comfortably shift. If you have any desire to haul cargo though (even occasionally), you will be frustrated. This car is best for hauling TWO adults and no more. Power is noticeably decreased with five adults on board.

Good value economy car
By Mike S

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Out of college I had a long commute into work (about 75 miles a day) and bought this car as a result. I've put about 60k miles on it in the last two years. It does a great job providing cheap, reliable transportation. Gets 33 mpg and is simple to work on. The only things I have had to do are change the muffler and midpipe (both rusted out) and driver's side window regulator. I also just recently put in Tokico HP struts because the old ones had lost a lot of their damping ability at 155k. In another year or so I'll do the timing belt/water pump. Still has the original clutch, we'll see how long it goes.

Great handling, fun car to drive with a 5-speed.

Sound system was poor, but that was easy to upgrade. Also added a rear sway bar off of a Civic Si for about $180 in parts, it bolts right up and vastly improves handling. The only other thing I wish it had was the 1.8L DOHC out of the Integra, great torquey engine. The SOHC is gutless at low rpm.

• SUV