1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car
By mandee on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I love everthing about this car. The 99 drives and great looks great! The gas mileage is remarkable.

First New Car.....
By Rlovrin1 on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

Well, The '99 Si was my first brand new car. I was driving an '87 Prelude Si. When I first test drove it, I felt that the prelude was snappier. i then decided to try a theory. Since the Civic had an entirely different RPM range, I changed the RPM where I was shifting and it became another beast. I bought the car that day.

Excellent Vehicle with resale value
By Sijray on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

This is an excellent car. Performance and reliability are well above par. The absence of torque is a dissapointment, however the horsepower makes up for it. Very fun to drive. Very reliable, never had a big problem and with over 60K miles

becoming very rare
By john9818a on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

I really enjoyed driving my Si. The only problem I had was a bad strut. This car is very popular with thieves so if you buy one be sure to put an alarm on it. Check the vin to make sure that the car you are looking at is really an Si. Mine was stolen twice and both times the Si specific features were taken.

love my civic
By johnnyd on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

by far the absolute coolest first car for a kid. there are some issues w/ cheap tires and brakes, but other than that great car. no problems at all and highly recommended.

Transmission problems on Civic HX model
By stacy on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought a new HX in '99. Today with 32k miles its been in the shop 5x w/ transmission failure. The CVT tranmission has been replaced 2x and has been flushed out 3x. Honda can't fix it, every 6000-8000 miles it fails. At an intersection when the light turned green it went into reverse when it was in DRIVE. On the free-way it jerks when it changes gears. A CVT trans is supposed to have smooth gear shifting. The new '03 HX has the same CVT transmission. A Honda service advisor said these problems are starting to show up around the country with the HX. There is no fix, Honda engineers are going to ponder over it and get back to me.

not too bad
By ross66 on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

It is not too bad car even though it's noisy, less powerful. I surprised when I sold my civic at a higher price than I thought last month. That's a good experience. I just bought a 2003 toyota corolla. I really don't know corolla is such a good car before. I strongly suggest you trade your civic with this one if you want to change.

best car ever
By hawkerhurrican5 on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

absolutly love this car only complaint is stopping distance in the rain because of no abs unfortuently i had to sell it 2 weeks ago cause it was getting expensive really was the best car i ever owned hopefully i can get a new one this summer :)

Own a Honda Civic
By LS on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I own a 5 speed, DX Model, with AC installed by Dealer. I have not had one issue/complaint in my 3 years of ownership. The only maintenance costs have been oil changes & brake pads (Boston Driving). Tires are Bridgestone and have worn pretty well. They are due for a change in the next 3- 5K miles, giving them a life of 50K. The car has made numerous trips between MA, NY, & OH and is very comfortable to drive. It reminds me of my old 85 Toyota Camry 5 spd. Performance and reliability have so far been equivalent. Cost of ownership vs value is great, especially if you capitalize on Honda's periodic reduced financing incentives for Civics.

What more could you ask for...
By BubbaJones on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Civic for three years. I have had no trouble with it at all. I am very impressed with the quality of the car. I have 65000 miles and still get great gas mileage, the engine sounds great, and it still looks new. I would buy another Honda in a heartbeat!