Used 1999 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By Izzy M.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I picked my car coming off the car trailer at my dealership and I knew this car was for me. After 247K+ , this car has gotten me everywhere I have asked it to and back. Replacing normal wear & tear parts has kept me happy.

The Teal color with gray cloth interior, sleek design prior to "aero-dynamic design", the fold down rear seats for extra cargo room, and all controls ease of reach and durability.

Could have a better trunk lock by driver seat and would prefer a wire antenna versus a rear windshield antenna.

Just ok i guess
By buddman

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

EX is a nice package for an economy car. Manuel transmission has its pluses as well. Decent mileage on flat Louisiana roads is a disappointment (32 mpg). but overall from 66K to 100K one thing after another is breaking. Master cylinder replaced distributor replaced. Timing belt and water pump replaced as recommended so I knew that going into it. Rear passenger door will not open at all, cruse control broken, CD player broken, paint chipping on bumper, steering wheel chipping and uncomfortable, horn pad broken off, muffler falling off. Can't think of anything else but i know i am missing a thing or two.

The car is/was nice when everything was working. Sunroof is nice. Overall i am keeping it because it is paid for.

With all the above wrong you would think i was talking about a domestic. But I have had two Fords and even a Saturn that held up better than this Honda. I am a Drivers Ed. teacher part time who takes care of his car but overall it has been a disappointing experience.

OK, but not as good as my last Honda
By K.S.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I had a 1991 Accord before this car. To be fair, we have put a lot of city miles on it and it's up to 130k now. But I look to put 200k minimum on a Honda, and I'm not going to get that with this one. The engine is great, but I've had repeated problems with the exhaust system falling out and the brake system breaking all the time, despite excellent maintenance on my behalf and from the car's first owners. I spend about $1500/year fixing this car. Now the transmission is getting ready to die, which I suspect will be a more costly repair than the car is now worth, so I am going to trade it in soon. I would still consider a Honda again, but never again a Honda with automatic transmission.

Fuel economy, cheap cost of car, has been reliable for a 12-year-old car. Trunk is shockingly roomy for a small sedan. Engine has never leaked or burned oil.

Everything that isn't the engine is not very well- made. Exhaust fell out on interstate, was replaced with Honda parts, then fell out again. Transmission is not good; sluggish response makes driving a scary penance. 4-cyl. engine is great on flats but not powerful enough to get the car uphill.

Great Car!!
By Holajn

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in October 2009. At first I had to replace the exhaust system since it was rusting. 375 dollars later it is all better and this car is running great! I am a student and drive less than 30 miles per week, I get such great mileage. For a 1.6 4-cyl the engine is very quick. The V-TEC really helps too. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants outstanding reliability and great gas mileage!

Interior fit and finish. Engine. Mileage!

Except for the exhaust system, there is nothing that I would recommend to improve!

The Gold Standard
By RT

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Manual trans, upholstery, mpg, dash

None. Did I mention I love this car?