Used 1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Bad idea..
By big_clocks

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a couple months ago thinking it would be a good investment because of how reliable civics are known to be and because of their gas mileage. Well, I get 30mpg all day, but this car has not been reliable for me. Had fuel issues when I bought it and now has a vacuum leak that has been impossible to trace, and my transmission shifts sloppy as well. Forgot to mention I bought this car with only 132k miles. Will definitely be staying away from civics from now on, only Honda I would own again is a Prelude, which I owned before this car. Stay away from this car unless you have money to throw into it.

Favorite Features

None.

Good Car
By stevie11

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years. It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof. A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

Long time used civic owner
By jjefrench

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned Honda Civics for 13 years. My first one was a 1990 and now I have the 1999, which I have owned for 8 years. It is a Civic LX automatic. Green. The mileage I had on it when I got it was 70,000. Now there are 150,000. I have spent more money on repairs for this car than the 6,500 it cost to purchase it. I am angry at the car for this purpose. At least three times something caused me to break down in the middle of the road. I have treated it well and it has not been reliable. I would love to sell it just because of the frustrations I have had over the years.

Suggested Improvements

My advice is, if you buy a civic, make sure you know its history. I did not know the history of this one except that it was a leased car. I imagine those are not often treated for longevity by someone who knows they will be giving it back. Once the fixes started, they didn't stop and it was always something new and strange.

Honda civc LX sedan auto wasn't a mistake
By omar_eita

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

keep in mind the car is cheap it's not a bmw or Mercedes I was a senior in high-school when i got this car I really needed a car for my work rides and college. NC doesn't have public transportation. I bought this car 2008 it had 110k on it now it has 140k on it and i absolutely don't regret buying it i only spent money on normal maintenance. it drives really nice and the interior compared to similar cars in it is class is far better i don't think there is a car that can beat that civic 1999-2000 too bad though they had it for 2 years. I'm giving this one to my younger brother since he will need it soon too.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy 27 mixed 30-33 highway yes still doing that until now! in 2011 almost 2012.

Suggested Improvements

well the engine if it was only 1.8 i will be very very happy but the A/C kills the 1.6l and i almost always have to red line the rpm to get it up hill with the a/c on and it can't carry more than 2 people trust me a 3rd with a/c and the engine will not pick up at all, handling is horrible thank god it doesn't snow this much in NC or i will be ice skating all winter.

Big Mistake
By Ginger

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the oxygen sensor, transmission and air conditioning.