Used 1999 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I Love Everything About This Car
By maddogca

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

It was my very first car in high school and it has been in the family since my dad bought it brand new. This car was probably the best car I have ever owned! The vehicle is so reliable that you have to try really hard to destroy these things. The seats are so plush and so comfortable, if I ever buy a car with cloth seating, it would be that car! The gas mileage is also quite impressive on these cars. Why I ever got rid of it, I will never know.

Eh... Automatic DX
By laken

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

As you read this, please keep in mind that this was my second vehicle and I purchased it from an individual who bought it new from the dealership. When I purchased the vehicle in 2010 the guy handed me a grocery bag full of receipts from all of the maintenance he had to do while he owned it - red flag #1. 2 years later I have had to replace the exhaust manifold and the radiator. Also, the air conditioner is broken and I refuse to fix it for $900. I'm pretty sure it eats spark plugs and wires because I've replaced them twice. It sounds terrible when I'm driving on the highway, shaking & whatnot. However I do drive it a lot and I have put about 40k miles on it and I also get 35-40MPG.

It gets great gas mileage and has only broken down on me one time and that was a radiator problem (it basically exploded).

It's uncomfortable, it sounds awful (all of them, not just mine), and it really has a lot of problems.

What an amazing little car
By gmlover777

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was an amazing car, we bought it in 2000 with 15,000km on it, so it was basically new. It's a 5-speed manual gas millage was amazing. We only changed the breaks and the oil on it, and the only problem we had was the gauge light would come on for no reason but we got it fixed which cost use 35 bucks$!!. Well it's one of the most reliable cars we've ever had, gas millage is amazing. We got rid of it this year because we dint need it anymore it was more of a spare vehicle for use. We got ride of it with 277,500km on it, and there was only a little rust on it. I could of kept it but it served no more use for use since it was a bit old as well.

Material seats, Reliability, 5-speed manual transmission, easy to use climate control

nothing

Methuselahmobile
By Steve B.

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove my Civic DX away from the dealer in March, 1999 and there are now 156K miles on the odometer. Although carefully maintained, this car has never been garaged and has spent her entire life in the frozen north (Michigan & Upstate New York). My daily commute runs between 70-80 miles. Except for a slightly leaky water pump at 70k and the odd rusty muffler/tailpipe, there have been no repair issues outside the normal service schedule. (The clutch is original.) My Civic still delivers 35- 40 mpg if driven rationally; expect a little less with 4 snow tires.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Stall out up here during the winter months, and you may end up looking like that neolithic dude they found in the Swiss Alps a few years back. Of course, the superlative gas mileage is a plus, too.

A slightly more powerful engine would be helpful. Passing a tractor trailer on a two lane highway with 117 HP is somewhat an act of faith.

Great Car
By B Becket

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

When gas prices approached $4.00 a gallon with no end in sight decided to get a car that would get better gas mileage than my Tundra. After doing some research on various makes and models of cars I decided on getting a used Honda Civic. I purchased a 1999 Honda Civic with 112,000 miles on it in May of '08. I drove the car from California to Utah and got 39 mpg consistently. Around town the car has averaged between 27 and 32 mpg. From all I've read and heard about the Honda Civic I'm convinced it's one of the most reliable and cost efficient cars you can own. Solid, reliable, and economical describes the Honda Civic.

Gas mileage, reliability, economical to operate and maintain.

None