Used 1999 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great reliable car with puny engine
By Dylan

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car was a great first car for me. I drove the thing like heck and it stayed strong under me. I put about 50,000 miles on it and it only broke down once. That was for the fuel pump going out which was an easy quick fix. It always got me where i needed to be, even if it wasn't very quickly. Its 1.6L 4 cylinder engine isn't that impressive. Its fuel economy was alright but it was not very responsive in the pedal at all. The transmission as well was not that great at shifting. the whole time i had it the shifting was a bit rough and i assume it is just the technology and quality of the transmission. Despite those two things it still ran great and i enjoyed it. very reliable and comfortable.

Bad idea..
By big_clocks

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a couple months ago thinking it would be a good investment because of how reliable civics are known to be and because of their gas mileage. Well, I get 30mpg all day, but this car has not been reliable for me. Had fuel issues when I bought it and now has a vacuum leak that has been impossible to trace, and my transmission shifts sloppy as well. Forgot to mention I bought this car with only 132k miles. Will definitely be staying away from civics from now on, only Honda I would own again is a Prelude, which I owned before this car. Stay away from this car unless you have money to throw into it.

None.

Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

I like the comfort. I got the LX which has power everything except seats. Drivers seat has many adjustments. This is as comfortable on long drives as a full sized car. I have driven it cross country several times and no problem with fatigue.

I would make the transmission adjustable as in when it shifts and how it shifts. The automatic trans is set up for performance. I would rather have economy.

Good Car
By stevie11

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years.
It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof.
A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

I Love Everything About This Car
By maddogca

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

It was my very first car in high school and it has been in the family since my dad bought it brand new. This car was probably the best car I have ever owned! The vehicle is so reliable that you have to try really hard to destroy these things. The seats are so plush and so comfortable, if I ever buy a car with cloth seating, it would be that car! The gas mileage is also quite impressive on these cars. Why I ever got rid of it, I will never know.