Used 1999 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Bad idea..
By big_clocks

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a couple months ago thinking it would be a good investment because of how reliable civics are known to be and because of their gas mileage. Well, I get 30mpg all day, but this car has not been reliable for me. Had fuel issues when I bought it and now has a vacuum leak that has been impossible to trace, and my transmission shifts sloppy as well. Forgot to mention I bought this car with only 132k miles. Will definitely be staying away from civics from now on, only Honda I would own again is a Prelude, which I owned before this car. Stay away from this car unless you have money to throw into it.

Favorite Features

None.

Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

Favorite Features

I like the comfort. I got the LX which has power everything except seats. Drivers seat has many adjustments. This is as comfortable on long drives as a full sized car. I have driven it cross country several times and no problem with fatigue.

Suggested Improvements

I would make the transmission adjustable as in when it shifts and how it shifts. The automatic trans is set up for performance. I would rather have economy.

Good Car
By stevie11

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years. It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof. A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

I Love Everything About This Car
By maddogca

1999 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

It was my very first car in high school and it has been in the family since my dad bought it brand new. This car was probably the best car I have ever owned! The vehicle is so reliable that you have to try really hard to destroy these things. The seats are so plush and so comfortable, if I ever buy a car with cloth seating, it would be that car! The gas mileage is also quite impressive on these cars. Why I ever got rid of it, I will never know.

Long time used civic owner
By jjefrench

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned Honda Civics for 13 years. My first one was a 1990 and now I have the 1999, which I have owned for 8 years. It is a Civic LX automatic. Green. The mileage I had on it when I got it was 70,000. Now there are 150,000. I have spent more money on repairs for this car than the 6,500 it cost to purchase it. I am angry at the car for this purpose. At least three times something caused me to break down in the middle of the road. I have treated it well and it has not been reliable. I would love to sell it just because of the frustrations I have had over the years.

Suggested Improvements

My advice is, if you buy a civic, make sure you know its history. I did not know the history of this one except that it was a leased car. I imagine those are not often treated for longevity by someone who knows they will be giving it back. Once the fixes started, they didn't stop and it was always something new and strange.