Used 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Very Reliable !
By ozansan

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought a Honda Civic 1999 Dx in 2011 November, I Paid 3.000 $CAN The Mileage was 152.300 KM When I bought it I replaced the timing belt and water pump, Paid around 500 CAN$ the mileage now 197.300 km and I had one one problem only Heater motor (Blower) I bough the part at used part shop , paid 40$ and Replaced myself ( I watched some videos on Youtube to replace it, Thank you Youtube ) Civics are safe in winter Because Front wheel drive and low this days Civics are 1.8L but still would not buy a 1.8L Civic . if u have 3 or 4 passengers on up hill gives hard time to the driver .

Civics are safe in winter Because Front wheel drive and low and Very good on Gas , easy to fix , easy and cheap to maintain

If u want a civic my suggestion is go with SI And do not go with synthetic oil the performance goes very down after 5.000 km but use regular oil and add oil treatment make sure your timing belt and water pump are ok ! you need to replace them at the same time every 4 years or every 80.000km You might lose your engine because of timing belt failure 60$ belt might cause 5.000 $ :(

Wish I still had my '91
By Redrock

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought this DX without test driving because I loved my '91 DX. Mistake. Honda completely changed the ergonomics: being 5'1" tall, I'm unable to rest my right heel on the floor, am too close to the airbag, and the seatbelt cuts across my throat. I hate having to drive with my toes while my arms are cramped against the wheel. The throttle cable kinks and needs cleaning or replacement twice a year, otherwise the accelerator sticks. Whenever it rains hard, there is a gallon of water in the spare tire well. Mileage went DOWN from my '91 from 39 to 33 MPG average. Middle of the line stereo speakers blew quickly.

Hatch is spacious.

Increase the mileage. Fix the stupid trunk leak-- c'mon, Honda, you KNOW everyone has the same problem. Re-route the throttle cable. Make the ergonomics and seatbelts more adjustable for shorter drivers. Re-introduce opening rear windows. Re-introduce the hatch light.

the highest R.O.I.
By crack

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Cars are money pits. There is no way to "win". This is BY FAR the closest I have come to beating the system. 163,750 miles with NO major repairs. Distributor (O2 sensor) is only repair. Replaced trunk shocks but I put a lot of wear on them. I have been using the car for the last 18 months to do landscaping! My friends laughed at me at first but at 35-40 MPG I am laughing all the way PAST the gas station! Will need clutch work soon and I will not hesitate to invest in this car. I am confident I will put 300,000 miles on this car before I am done with it.

40 MPG highway! great handling, easy to park, hatchback offers more room for stuff in the back than small SUV'S

pretty no frills interior but not to the point of being a disappointment

Still doing it all well
By MaceThomas

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

First off, the car has had only two problems in my 8 years of ownership. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder (very cheap and quick fix - right in front of the engine) and the driver's side window likes to jump the track if you wind it up when wet (Easy fix, but use the bullet-proof and freezing cold A/C). Other than those things, I get about 33 MPG with my foot to the floor when I get the opportunity (Mixed driving) and there is a lot of cargo room with rear seats folded. If you get the opportunity to get a good example of this hatchback, you will not be sorry!

Toss-ability of the car. This car handles very well stock and with aftermarket additions, it can be even better. High MPG and near perfect reliability!!!

The driver's seat is not that comfortable if driving for more than an hour or so straight. More performance, but you did not really buy it for the performance (Something you can do in the aftermarket).

Very, very good to me!
By mick

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Bought a silver one new in '99 and have replaced brake shoes and the timing belt. That's it.. Besides a plugged windshield sprayer and a fuse for the cooling fan nothing to report. Selling now with 194,000 kms and oil is still always clean.

Almost sporty enough to be fun. Just a solid care free 5 speed to drive.