1999 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Wish I still had my '91
By Redrock on 06/18/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought this DX without test driving because I loved my '91 DX. Mistake. Honda completely changed the ergonomics: being 5'1" tall, I'm unable to rest my right heel on the floor, am too close to the airbag, and the seatbelt cuts across my throat. I hate having to drive with my toes while my arms are cramped against the wheel. The throttle cable kinks and needs cleaning or replacement twice a year, otherwise the accelerator sticks. Whenever it rains hard, there is a gallon of water in the spare tire well. Mileage went DOWN from my '91 from 39 to 33 MPG average. Middle of the line stereo speakers blew quickly.

the highest R.O.I.
By crack on 07/28/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Cars are money pits. There is no way to "win". This is BY FAR the closest I have come to beating the system. 163,750 miles with NO major repairs. Distributor (O2 sensor) is only repair. Replaced trunk shocks but I put a lot of wear on them. I have been using the car for the last 18 months to do landscaping! My friends laughed at me at first but at 35-40 MPG I am laughing all the way PAST the gas station! Will need clutch work soon and I will not hesitate to invest in this car. I am confident I will put 300,000 miles on this car before I am done with it.

Still doing it all well
By MaceThomas on 06/24/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

First off, the car has had only two problems in my 8 years of ownership. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder (very cheap and quick fix - right in front of the engine) and the driver's side window likes to jump the track if you wind it up when wet (Easy fix, but use the bullet-proof and freezing cold A/C). Other than those things, I get about 33 MPG with my foot to the floor when I get the opportunity (Mixed driving) and there is a lot of cargo room with rear seats folded. If you get the opportunity to get a good example of this hatchback, you will not be sorry!

Very, very good to me!
By mick on 04/16/07 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Bought a silver one new in '99 and have replaced brake shoes and the timing belt. That's it.. Besides a plugged windshield sprayer and a fuse for the cooling fan nothing to report. Selling now with 194,000 kms and oil is still always clean.

AWESOME CAR
By christineAtNORDSTROM on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This car has been very reliable. I've owned my car for 5 years and have never had any mechanical problems. And it's very thrifty on gas. I get 25 miles to the gallon. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is looking for reliable transportation, with style, it's a cute car. You really get your moneys worth with this one.

99 Civic DX HB
By MaceThomas on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Overall a very good car. The stock performance is not breathtaking, but there is a huge aftermarket to do that for you. Handles the corners very well, and feels faster than it is. The HB is the best look for the Civic in my opinion.

Trouble-free
By Winz on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Mine is a european 1400cc/90hp version. Yet it's quite fun to drive, and can carry 4 adults w/bags. The handling is good, w/ a nice shift (manual). The interior is still as news after 3 years, though the grey color is kinda dull (IMO). I would highly recommend this car, especially used, because of superior quality, reliability and small price. Winz, Paris, France.

excellent
By maxi on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I had a 1998 Pontiac sunfire, which I had problems with, and at eight months old I tried to get rid of it and Hawley Pontiac would not even look at it because I did not want another Pontiac vehicle. I walked accross the street and bought my Honda Civic, 1999, I have had it for three years and have not had one problem. I love it and would buy any Honda again--Maxi