Used 1999 Honda Civic HX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Brilliant!
By rohan

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I will never sell this car! I have had it since 2007 and a lot of people tell me I need to upgrade to a better car. I never will, here are the secrets: - They only made a few Honda HX's. Its got a unique transmission that gives it appox 38 mpg. They stopped making the HX's so Honda could come up with its Hybrids! - I got the stickshft. I did change Timing Belt along with all belts/sparks and the ride is great. - I can go from Cleveland to Chicago/New York on one full tank of gas (which is all of 12 gallons!!!) - I put the best/premium gas - yes, thats how much I love this car LOL. Its got 136000 miles on it currently and I plan on driving it least to 300000...

36 mpg & Stickshift (great control and gas mileage)

99 Honda Civic HX
By mark

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2005 and so far haven't had any major problems. If you are having transmission problems with this car it is the starter clutch kit that needs replacing. This has been a problem for 99-00 Honda Civics. It cost $1900 to fix at dealership. No major problems with car at all. Right now car runs rough in wet weather. Has only 93k on it. The CVT transmission is what makes the car noisy. Car might need a new distributor or o2 sensor if running rough in wet weather. Car is in great shape and body holds up very well if you wax it every six months. No major complaints so far!

Amazing First Car
By Hyduk87

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

My first car. Now that doesn't mean I haven't seen many cars, or experienced many. I've driven quite a few, I've never actually purchased one myself though. But, as for this 99 Civic, I can tell you, even with the problems I got with the car, this is still great. First, the problems. I got the car used, 103k miles. The dash lights won't turn on anymore (my guess is someone messing with the stereo didn't disconnect the battery and fried my instrument panel) but all other electrical stuff works great! Also, the car was tuned a little bit, low ride height and sports suspension. Makes for a bumpy ride and frame damage going over big bumps or steep driveways.

Now, the good: The car gets GREAT gas mileage, even for an automatic; I'm averaging 35, with most in the city, so above estimates. Performance - for a small engine, 120 or so hp (added air intake and exhaust systems) this car can zip around really well. The interior is well done as well.

Well, the dash is pretty plain, I may be upgrading that to fix it. The exterior black right around the window is flaking away, seems to happen on every Civic I've seen. But really, it's Honda. Cheap to fix, runs great, awesome MPG, great installed stereo and PLENTY of upgrade options.

good
By mattsfgbwtbwtwasb

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

good deal on a reliable car. the road noise is the worst thing about this car.

5 spd

get rid of road noise

Love my Honda! You will too!
By poda

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

Since I have purchased this vehicle, I have stopped worrying about reliability of the car I drive. My Honda (as is every Honda!) is very dependable and has great gas milage. I could not ask for more at such a reasonable price! I plan on making my entire family, a Honda family! Thank you Honda!

Reliability, cost, gas mileage, sporty look, and trunk space

Lever used to move seats forward and backwards should be placed on the outside (closer to the door) of the seat so it can be adjusted before getting into the vehicle.