Used 1999 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car. Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires. I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.

I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper. There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The double wishbone suspension is very nice, especially with the help of good tires and a beefy rear sway bar bought on Ebay. The rear bumper's support beam has lot of pre-drilled and smoothed holes so I could mount a genuine train bell in under there with Zip ties! It's a crazy easy moddable car.

Wish my car had a drivetrain like this;;; Direct Injection Auto start/stop Electrical system recuperation (what Buick calls E-assist) Cylinder deactivation Lean burn (if emissions can stay low enough, like the Civic HX) A-VTEC (advanced VTEC) Atkinson valve behavior when engine load is low for more MPG (Honda Earth Dreams engines) Have dashboard illumination lights be more accessible for replacing. Have audio-in jack built into radio. Have paddle shifters so I can shift early to save gas. Have the transmission lock up in more gears than just 3rd (at about 66MPH) and 4th (at about 53MPH) for more MPG. Better interior lighting (too dim) and have a trunk light. Had to mod up lights myself.

Eh...
By Pryscila

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This was my first car so I babied it. While I have had it over 4 years i've had to replace the AC and the radiator. The car has 146,000 miles on it, and has NO way of going another 100k. My automatic transmission shifts very hard and sometimes doesn't shift, the car's RPM just keep rising until I decelerate. This is HORRIBLE getting onto the interstate or trying to pass a car. The car is not fun to drive. It's noisy and a bumpy ride. My gas mileage is about 27 mixed which is good. I have to put $45 in it every week. The car is also black which has faded in the Florida sun. The paint almost looks none finished.

MPG, Comfort

AC unit, Transmission.

Incredible car
By Drew Hyatt

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for over a year now and it currently has over 185k on it. Six mo. after getting it my brother got the tail end hit by a truck and bent the frame but I didn't know until 2 mo. later when I was working on the dent. It still handled great and I found it had been in at least 2 more unreported accidents but you couldn't tell from driving. I even put it in a ditch and a 4 wheel alignment later it drove just like before. I had a minor electrical issue that no one but the Honda people could find, but other than that no problems(it will drive 100mi w/o alternator w/ 5spd, nothing on, and starting twice). Amazing car and I will be sorry to see it go to get a lower mileage one.

Incredibly fun to drive, great on gas, good seats

Give the tach standard on DX

Great for Getting to School or Work
By Jim Bullard

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This red '99 Honda Civic has been great fun to drive. It gets about 30 Mile/Gal, and has a new transmission and A/C compressor. Most of my driving has been to get to college, get to work and socially around town. Hardly any highway driving

A/C works very well and very good turning radius.

Needs more interior room.

highly recommended
By Camilla_Roberts

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

When i first decided to buy a used car i was very uneasy and skeptical of every car i looked at. Finally i found my honda civic dx and although it has high mileage, the moment i test drove the car i felt confident, safe, and assured that this car would last and be a good investment. Although i have only had the car a month or so now, it has given me no problems and i continue to feel safe and enjoy driving this car. I really wanted a car with a sunroof, cd player and all the bells and whistles but when i drove this honda- although not fully loaded- i was more than willing to sacrifice for the peace of mind the honda offered.

(Automatic) gear selector- lights up next to spedometer, looks sporty, fuel economy, quite roomy for a smaller car.

Well i didnt get a fully loaded one, so im sure any improvements i could think of would be available in a fully loaded honda.