1999 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234 on 06/21/12 22:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car. Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires. I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.

wishing i had my 93 integra back
By cjrock on 02/07/11 21:03 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

now i understand this car is about value and all, but boy is it cheap. Rattles every little bump i take, power windows hardly roll down anymore, awful noises when starting in cold (dealership and mechanic can't target the problem). I can barely hear a passenger when driving on the highway. I wish my I didn't replace my 93 acura...

Excellent car
By MattAC on 08/12/10 08:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for almost 13 years and still going strong. This car is reliable, easy to maintain and still looks great.

Great little car
By Benjamin on 07/18/10 12:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Got it with about 92k in October(now @ 110k). I voluntarily replaced my water pump & timing belt before it hit 100k, new brake pads (front & back), and rotors. Only engine mods are a Cold-air intake & pulleys done by the previous owner who I'm guessing drove it hard. Window regulators need changed soon, and A/C compressor needs replaced. Drives great, consistently get around 30-32 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving, and I drive very aggressively & fly on the highway 75+ miles/hr Replaced stereo & speakers and tinted the windows slightly for a more enjoyable ride. If you're looking for a low-maintenance car, get a 5spd EX for max fun without as much worry of theft as the SI.

Most reliable car I've had
By Ellery on 06/23/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 99 Civic EX with 60,000 miles from a dealership in 2003. Over 7 years later she's still running like a champ at 190,000 miles. I've only had to replace the belts once and have the routine oil changes and fluid flushes. She has survived three minor accidents without damaging anything mechanical - just the window controls/trunk seals aren't up to snuff now. Hoping she makes another 100,000! You can't beat the value/longevity of this vehicle!

1999 Honda civic ex couple in silver
By David on 05/22/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for 6 months now, and I love it. I bought it with 81,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. If you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance this car will run like a top. In cold weather the gas mileage will be in the mid to high 20's in the city and low 30's highway. Summertime the gas mileage has been better I'm in low 30's all the time and almost got to 36 on the last tank which was mostly city driving, I throw it in neutral and coast down hills when I can that makes the mpg go up. This car has power if you want to use it you have to shift over 5500 rpm for the V-TEC to kick in and then it's fast.

I Love My Civic!
By alicia on 03/04/10 09:28 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Civic for nearly 10 years. It is by far the best car I have ever had. I have done the necessary maintenance throughout the years. As a result, it has been very reliable and I've had no mechanical problems with it at all. It gets great gas mileage and is an inexpensive car to own/maintain. I would definitely purchase a Civic again.

Brilliant!
By rohan on 12/28/09 13:13 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I will never sell this car! I have had it since 2007 and a lot of people tell me I need to upgrade to a better car. I never will, here are the secrets: - They only made a few Honda HX's. Its got a unique transmission that gives it appox 38 mpg. They stopped making the HX's so Honda could come up with its Hybrids! - I got the stickshft. I did change Timing Belt along with all belts/sparks and the ride is great. - I can go from Cleveland to Chicago/New York on one full tank of gas (which is all of 12 gallons!!!) - I put the best/premium gas - yes, thats how much I love this car LOL. Its got 136000 miles on it currently and I plan on driving it least to 300000...

Well rounded car!!
By Jeff W. on 08/20/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car while in high school in 2007; have averaged 20K a year of mostly city driving and I have had no problems! The fuel economy is second-to-none for the model year... though hybrids may give this Civic a run for its money, for the price, this Civic cannot be matched. Power is decidedly anemic; I didn't buy this car to be a racer, but if you value acceleration at all, stay far, far away. Overall, very reliable, well designed, dependable car. While the power is not overwhelming, for the price, one cannot ask for more. My next purchase will be a Pilot though; the 5 speed in the Civic is fun and silky smooth, but considering the space, size, and power, I've outgrown this car.

Good value economy car
By Mike S on 07/24/09 07:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Out of college I had a long commute into work (about 75 miles a day) and bought this car as a result. I've put about 60k miles on it in the last two years. It does a great job providing cheap, reliable transportation. Gets 33 mpg and is simple to work on. The only things I have had to do are change the muffler and midpipe (both rusted out) and driver's side window regulator. I also just recently put in Tokico HP struts because the old ones had lost a lot of their damping ability at 155k. In another year or so I'll do the timing belt/water pump. Still has the original clutch, we'll see how long it goes.