Used 1999 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234

1999 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car. Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires. I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.

Favorite Features

I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper. There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The double wishbone suspension is very nice, especially with the help of good tires and a beefy rear sway bar bought on Ebay. The rear bumper's support beam has lot of pre-drilled and smoothed holes so I could mount a genuine train bell in under there with Zip ties! It's a crazy easy moddable car.

Suggested Improvements

Wish my car had a drivetrain like this;;; Direct Injection Auto start/stop Electrical system recuperation (what Buick calls E-assist) Cylinder deactivation Lean burn (if emissions can stay low enough, like the Civic HX) A-VTEC (advanced VTEC) Atkinson valve behavior when engine load is low for more MPG (Honda Earth Dreams engines) Have dashboard illumination lights be more accessible for replacing. Have audio-in jack built into radio. Have paddle shifters so I can shift early to save gas. Have the transmission lock up in more gears than just 3rd (at about 66MPH) and 4th (at about 53MPH) for more MPG. Better interior lighting (too dim) and have a trunk light. Had to mod up lights myself.

wishing i had my 93 integra back
By cjrock

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

now i understand this car is about value and all, but boy is it cheap. Rattles every little bump i take, power windows hardly roll down anymore, awful noises when starting in cold (dealership and mechanic can't target the problem). I can barely hear a passenger when driving on the highway. I wish my I didn't replace my 93 acura...

Favorite Features

Air conditioning (didn't have it in my last car)... sunroof...

Suggested Improvements

less cheap materials, more refined interior. c'mon honda, you have to keep up with volkswagen and ford, i'd almost prefer to drive one of their cars!

Excellent car
By MattAC

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for almost 13 years and still going strong. This car is reliable, easy to maintain and still looks great.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, maneuverability, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Interior features, seats etc.

Great little car
By Benjamin

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Got it with about 92k in October(now @ 110k). I voluntarily replaced my water pump & timing belt before it hit 100k, new brake pads (front & back), and rotors. Only engine mods are a Cold-air intake & pulleys done by the previous owner who I'm guessing drove it hard. Window regulators need changed soon, and A/C compressor needs replaced. Drives great, consistently get around 30-32 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving, and I drive very aggressively & fly on the highway 75+ miles/hr Replaced stereo & speakers and tinted the windows slightly for a more enjoyable ride. If you're looking for a low-maintenance car, get a 5spd EX for max fun without as much worry of theft as the SI.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Power windows, Cruise Control, easy to change oil

Suggested Improvements

Extremely useless cup holders, change location of cigarette lighter, have the DOHC instead of the SOHC, takes some work to change driver's headlight bulb

Most reliable car I've had
By Ellery

1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 99 Civic EX with 60,000 miles from a dealership in 2003. Over 7 years later she's still running like a champ at 190,000 miles. I've only had to replace the belts once and have the routine oil changes and fluid flushes. She has survived three minor accidents without damaging anything mechanical - just the window controls/trunk seals aren't up to snuff now. Hoping she makes another 100,000! You can't beat the value/longevity of this vehicle!

Favorite Features

I still love driving this car, how it feels faster on the road and can fit anywhere. I am not the gentlest of drivers and every part on her has lasted longer than expected. Oh, and I'm still averaging 30+ mpg on this 11 yr old vehicle - gotta love that!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I loathe about this vehicle are the cup holders - my nemesis on many an occasion , there are stains aplenty on my carpet to attest they are not nearly deep enough to keep anything in them around a curve.