Used 1999 Honda Civic VP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

Favorite Features

I like the comfort. I got the LX which has power everything except seats. Drivers seat has many adjustments. This is as comfortable on long drives as a full sized car. I have driven it cross country several times and no problem with fatigue.

Suggested Improvements

I would make the transmission adjustable as in when it shifts and how it shifts. The automatic trans is set up for performance. I would rather have economy.

Civic is best among all Sedans
By Harsha

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I have owned Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry and Honda Civic. Civic is the best in terms of reliability, maintenance, gas mileage etc. I get 36 miles per gallon in city and 40 miles per gallon on highways. Very happy to own Civic in this high gas prices era. My next car would be Honda Civic Hybrid. Period

Favorite Features

Highly reliable, Low maintenance costs, very good gas mileage. Very good paint.

Suggested Improvements

Styling

Happy Honda Owner
By Love my honda

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

This is our 4th Civic and has been a low cost car to operate with a reliable engine and transmission. We bought this one new and replaced brakes, tires exhaust and alternator by 150K. Repaired electric locks but driver's door is manual since repair is too expensive. With an A/T hill climbing is tough with the A/C on or with a full load of people or luggage. A/C is weak. It has more rattles and noise than our other cars developed and dings easily. There is no trunk light. The trunk opening is poorly designed and tends to channel rain into the tail lights and into the trunk. Cup holder design and location is poor as is charger location. Small items that irritate after 9 years.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, low maintenance, safe and reliable, low cost car. Nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve seat adjustments and comfor.t Redesign cup holders and charger access. Place to put cell phone. Better seals on doors to cut down road noise. Redesign trunk opening.

solid car
By lnotting

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

After 44,000 miles, this car still needs only its recommended service work. It even still has its original battery and tires. Nothing has fallen off or fallen apart. I drive it mostly for short, in-town use; but on the Interstates, it runs along with the "big dogs" just fine.

Favorite Features

Tough, peppy engine. And, these "hard" Honda seats are most comfortable for long trips--assuredly better for a "bad back" than the Buicks and Cadillacs I've driven many miles.

GREAT CAR
By zc

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

it's a great car. never had anything better. i recommend this car to everyone.

Favorite Features

THE LOOKS AND THE WAY IT HANDLES

Suggested Improvements

NONE