1999 Honda Civic 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

1999 Civic Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
wishing i had my 93 integra back
By cjrock

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

now i understand this car is about value and all, but boy is it cheap. Rattles every little bump i take, power windows hardly roll down anymore, awful noises when starting in cold (dealership and mechanic can't target the problem). I can barely hear a passenger when driving on the highway. I wish my I didn't replace my 93 acura...

Favorite Features

Air conditioning (didn't have it in my last car)... sunroof...

Suggested Improvements

less cheap materials, more refined interior. c'mon honda, you have to keep up with volkswagen and ford, i'd almost prefer to drive one of their cars!

Excellent car
By MattAC

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for almost 13 years and still going strong. This car is reliable, easy to maintain and still looks great.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, maneuverability, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Interior features, seats etc.

Great little car
By Benjamin

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Got it with about 92k in October(now @ 110k). I voluntarily replaced my water pump & timing belt before it hit 100k, new brake pads (front & back), and rotors. Only engine mods are a Cold-air intake & pulleys done by the previous owner who I'm guessing drove it hard. Window regulators need changed soon, and A/C compressor needs replaced. Drives great, consistently get around 30-32 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving, and I drive very aggressively & fly on the highway 75+ miles/hr Replaced stereo & speakers and tinted the windows slightly for a more enjoyable ride. If you're looking for a low-maintenance car, get a 5spd EX for max fun without as much worry of theft as the SI.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Power windows, Cruise Control, easy to change oil

Suggested Improvements

Extremely useless cup holders, change location of cigarette lighter, have the DOHC instead of the SOHC, takes some work to change driver's headlight bulb

Most reliable car I've had
By Ellery

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 99 Civic EX with 60,000 miles from a dealership in 2003. Over 7 years later she's still running like a champ at 190,000 miles. I've only had to replace the belts once and have the routine oil changes and fluid flushes. She has survived three minor accidents without damaging anything mechanical - just the window controls/trunk seals aren't up to snuff now. Hoping she makes another 100,000! You can't beat the value/longevity of this vehicle!

Favorite Features

I still love driving this car, how it feels faster on the road and can fit anywhere. I am not the gentlest of drivers and every part on her has lasted longer than expected. Oh, and I'm still averaging 30+ mpg on this 11 yr old vehicle - gotta love that!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I loathe about this vehicle are the cup holders - my nemesis on many an occasion , there are stains aplenty on my carpet to attest they are not nearly deep enough to keep anything in them around a curve.

1999 Honda civic ex couple in silver
By David

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for 6 months now, and I love it. I bought it with 81,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. If you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance this car will run like a top. In cold weather the gas mileage will be in the mid to high 20's in the city and low 30's highway. Summertime the gas mileage has been better I'm in low 30's all the time and almost got to 36 on the last tank which was mostly city driving, I throw it in neutral and coast down hills when I can that makes the mpg go up. This car has power if you want to use it you have to shift over 5500 rpm for the V-TEC to kick in and then it's fast.

Favorite Features

Manual get it, it's more fun and you get better gas mileage. Sunroof, power locks, windows, mirrors, cold AC, awesome styling I have a stock spoiler that looks great on it. Good amount of room in all seats, I'm 5'9" and fit well, not a car for really big people. V-Tec engine!

Suggested Improvements

It's pretty much perfect with the balance of gas mileage and power but I guess they could always be better. But for the money you can't go wrong.

I Love My Civic!
By alicia

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Civic for nearly 10 years. It is by far the best car I have ever had. I have done the necessary maintenance throughout the years. As a result, it has been very reliable and I've had no mechanical problems with it at all. It gets great gas mileage and is an inexpensive car to own/maintain. I would definitely purchase a Civic again.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage, and most importantly it is reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I have had issues over the years with the windows coming off track. This is the only annoyance I have experienced with this car.

Well rounded car!!
By Jeff W.

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car while in high school in 2007; have averaged 20K a year of mostly city driving and I have had no problems! The fuel economy is second-to-none for the model year... though hybrids may give this Civic a run for its money, for the price, this Civic cannot be matched. Power is decidedly anemic; I didn't buy this car to be a racer, but if you value acceleration at all, stay far, far away. Overall, very reliable, well designed, dependable car. While the power is not overwhelming, for the price, one cannot ask for more. My next purchase will be a Pilot though; the 5 speed in the Civic is fun and silky smooth, but considering the space, size, and power, I've outgrown this car.

Favorite Features

Excellent reliability, fuel economy, low purchase price, decent styling.

Suggested Improvements

None-- this car does all it ought to. Even at 6'5'', I easily fit and can comfortably shift. If you have any desire to haul cargo though (even occasionally), you will be frustrated. This car is best for hauling TWO adults and no more. Power is noticeably decreased with five adults on board.

Good value economy car
By Mike S

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Out of college I had a long commute into work (about 75 miles a day) and bought this car as a result. I've put about 60k miles on it in the last two years. It does a great job providing cheap, reliable transportation. Gets 33 mpg and is simple to work on. The only things I have had to do are change the muffler and midpipe (both rusted out) and driver's side window regulator. I also just recently put in Tokico HP struts because the old ones had lost a lot of their damping ability at 155k. In another year or so I'll do the timing belt/water pump. Still has the original clutch, we'll see how long it goes.

Favorite Features

Great handling, fun car to drive with a 5-speed.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system was poor, but that was easy to upgrade. Also added a rear sway bar off of a Civic Si for about $180 in parts, it bolts right up and vastly improves handling. The only other thing I wish it had was the 1.8L DOHC out of the Integra, great torquey engine. The SOHC is gutless at low rpm.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Love My 99 Civic

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 99 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission back in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It currently has 122,000 miles on it and has never given me any problems. I did replace the power window regulator and the CV axle boots (a very common problem on this generation Civic), however nothing else other than routine maintenance. My previous 87 Civic was still running well at 241,000 miles when I sold it, so I believe that this one will last at least as long. I love my Civic!

Favorite Features

Average gas mileage of 30 miles per gallon and nice styling.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, but can't have everything.

I'll keep it until the wheels fall off
By BustedFlush

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Has it been 10 years? I used to live very close to work, so my Civic only has 95,000 miles on it. Had to replace the exhaust line (Ohio winters mean salt trucks) but otherwise no serious issues. Had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, timing belt and a tune up around 85,000. Someone asked me why I buy cars (depreciating asset) instead of leasing - this is why. Mechanic says this car is just getting warmed up and I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

Favorite Features

Utterly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Would it kill Honda to put decent speakers in a car? This is the EX which has the better sound system and the speakers were still crap.