1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Good Car
By stevie11 on 03/27/14 09:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years. It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof. A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

Long time used civic owner
By jjefrench on 11/21/12 14:56 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned Honda Civics for 13 years. My first one was a 1990 and now I have the 1999, which I have owned for 8 years. It is a Civic LX automatic. Green. The mileage I had on it when I got it was 70,000. Now there are 150,000. I have spent more money on repairs for this car than the 6,500 it cost to purchase it. I am angry at the car for this purpose. At least three times something caused me to break down in the middle of the road. I have treated it well and it has not been reliable. I would love to sell it just because of the frustrations I have had over the years.

Honda civc LX sedan auto wasn't a mistake
By omar_eita on 07/05/11 22:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

keep in mind the car is cheap it's not a bmw or Mercedes I was a senior in high-school when i got this car I really needed a car for my work rides and college. NC doesn't have public transportation. I bought this car 2008 it had 110k on it now it has 140k on it and i absolutely don't regret buying it i only spent money on normal maintenance. it drives really nice and the interior compared to similar cars in it is class is far better i don't think there is a car that can beat that civic 1999-2000 too bad though they had it for 2 years. I'm giving this one to my younger brother since he will need it soon too.

Big Mistake
By Ginger on 11/01/09 20:31 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

I love this car
By jms on 09/27/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my grandma after she had it for 4 years. I have spent a bit on it replacing the exhaust system (from sitting in a parking lot for 4 years and not being driven when my grandma owned it), but it has been reliable for me the entire time I have had it. I have had to put virtually no money in this car and it always seems to run perfectly!

99 Civic Lx
By CarGUy on 02/06/09 19:05 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Great car so far, no problems what so ever. Added some upgrades and have turned this blah looking car into something real cool to look at and drive, really a chick car but worth the money for a reliable small car.

T otally Disappointed
By Ginger on 03/23/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car without hesitation because of my experience with my previous 88 Civic which was the perfect car...great gas mileage and NEVER gave me even the slightest problem. This one has been troublesome from the get go. Everything about it just seemed cheap and flimsy. But my major problems were mechanical. I kept having to take it to the shop because of the oxygen sensor which for some reason the dealership couldn't get corrected. Then my transmission had to be replaced as soon as the warranty run out. The current transmission is not doing too well either. It feels as if it's out of line, but I have had it aligned twice and nothing helps. This car has soured me on Honda.

Reliable puppy
By Hobbes on 11/09/07 06:12 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I owned this puppy from new. Never been stranded so far. Maintained always at Honda dealers. Flooded out once only to the wet carpet level in a car park! Lose wire which I fixed myself using an ODBII scanner. Great MPG, average over 30. Spend only about $US 18 per week and that is with gasoline at US $3.29 a gallon!

Most economical & reliable car so far
By Anders Seits on 11/29/06 10:35 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Honda Civic LX 4-door I bought new and have owned for over 6 years has proved to be the most economical and reliable car I have owned so far in my life. I am 60 years old and have owned Fords, Chevrolets, VWs, and a Mitsubishi Galant. The Honda Civic might not be as comfortable and roomy as some of them, but it has been an excellent, reliable, cost-efficient car for city and highway driving. The only repair so far has been the replacement of the interior blower fan, because of worn-out bearings. Current mileage is 78,000 miles.

Safe Bet
By Asad on 08/18/06 17:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Rear defogger stopped working just after the factory warranty expired. Oxygen sensor and front power windows failed last year. No engine/transmission problems so far. About 32 mpg mixed highway/city and 36mpg highway with air conditioner fully on.