1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy on 06/29/14 12:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

Good Car
By stevie11 on 03/27/14 09:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years. It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof. A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

I Love Everything About This Car
By maddogca on 01/02/13 19:46 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

It was my very first car in high school and it has been in the family since my dad bought it brand new. This car was probably the best car I have ever owned! The vehicle is so reliable that you have to try really hard to destroy these things. The seats are so plush and so comfortable, if I ever buy a car with cloth seating, it would be that car! The gas mileage is also quite impressive on these cars. Why I ever got rid of it, I will never know.

Long time used civic owner
By jjefrench on 11/21/12 14:56 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned Honda Civics for 13 years. My first one was a 1990 and now I have the 1999, which I have owned for 8 years. It is a Civic LX automatic. Green. The mileage I had on it when I got it was 70,000. Now there are 150,000. I have spent more money on repairs for this car than the 6,500 it cost to purchase it. I am angry at the car for this purpose. At least three times something caused me to break down in the middle of the road. I have treated it well and it has not been reliable. I would love to sell it just because of the frustrations I have had over the years.

226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234 on 06/21/12 22:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car. Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires. I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.

Eh... Automatic DX
By laken on 05/21/12 14:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

As you read this, please keep in mind that this was my second vehicle and I purchased it from an individual who bought it new from the dealership. When I purchased the vehicle in 2010 the guy handed me a grocery bag full of receipts from all of the maintenance he had to do while he owned it - red flag #1. 2 years later I have had to replace the exhaust manifold and the radiator. Also, the air conditioner is broken and I refuse to fix it for $900. I'm pretty sure it eats spark plugs and wires because I've replaced them twice. It sounds terrible when I'm driving on the highway, shaking & whatnot. However I do drive it a lot and I have put about 40k miles on it and I also get 35-40MPG.

What an amazing little car
By gmlover777 on 12/20/11 06:28 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This was an amazing car, we bought it in 2000 with 15,000km on it, so it was basically new. It's a 5-speed manual gas millage was amazing. We only changed the breaks and the oil on it, and the only problem we had was the gauge light would come on for no reason but we got it fixed which cost use 35 bucks$!!. Well it's one of the most reliable cars we've ever had, gas millage is amazing. We got rid of it this year because we dint need it anymore it was more of a spare vehicle for use. We got ride of it with 277,500km on it, and there was only a little rust on it. I could of kept it but it served no more use for use since it was a bit old as well.

Honda civc LX sedan auto wasn't a mistake
By omar_eita on 07/05/11 22:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

keep in mind the car is cheap it's not a bmw or Mercedes I was a senior in high-school when i got this car I really needed a car for my work rides and college. NC doesn't have public transportation. I bought this car 2008 it had 110k on it now it has 140k on it and i absolutely don't regret buying it i only spent money on normal maintenance. it drives really nice and the interior compared to similar cars in it is class is far better i don't think there is a car that can beat that civic 1999-2000 too bad though they had it for 2 years. I'm giving this one to my younger brother since he will need it soon too.

wishing i had my 93 integra back
By cjrock on 02/07/11 21:03 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

now i understand this car is about value and all, but boy is it cheap. Rattles every little bump i take, power windows hardly roll down anymore, awful noises when starting in cold (dealership and mechanic can't target the problem). I can barely hear a passenger when driving on the highway. I wish my I didn't replace my 93 acura...

Excellent car
By MattAC on 08/12/10 08:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for almost 13 years and still going strong. This car is reliable, easy to maintain and still looks great.