1998 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Great Little Car, Cheap to Own

1998 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Review

Great Little Car, Cheap to Own
By PSUEng on

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 EX last Sept. from my old roommate in college--he bought it new and at 79,300 miles, runs great. He maintained it very well and soon after I got it, the battery died (original), and the muffler rusted out. Other than that, no problems--AC is cold and heater is hot and everything works. I consistently get about 33 mpg highway and around 30-31 combined in my driving cycle. While it's not a sports car, it is cheap to maintain and easy to work on. The engine will outlast the rest of it.

I love this car because it is so simple. So easy to work on and parts are cheap. You can tear the whole thing apart with the Helm manual and basic metric tools.

Well, for basic transportation that gets great fuel economy, Honda nailed it. It's an appliance, plain and simple. But I feel like I have to over extend to reach the shift lever, the steering could be a little tighter and reduce some body roll and cabin noise.