Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

So great, someone else took it from me!
By M

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I had this car since it was brand new. I drove it myself for +6 years and I had ZERO problems with it, in it's 10th year it ran better then most cars that are less than 5 years old. The one negative - people kept trying to break into it (I never kept anything in my car) and finally, dec 08' someone successfully stole it and was written off. This problem is typical of older Hondas. This car was great but it's a hot car for theft (and is apparently really easy to steal) and this is what makes me hesitant to return to a Honda since dealing with getting windows fixed etc. from thieves turns into a big pain. :(

Favorite Features

Reliability, handling (great in snow too), gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

In the last winter I had it, the car seemed to have trouble keeping the interior warm when it was -40 C. Definitely buy a club and alarm if you get this car.

Honda Civic LX 1998
By Deeblacke

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when it had 125K miles and i have had for 3 yrs. Now it has 195,000 and still going strong. The only major breakdown i had was with the clutch but other than that it's a good car. I intend to drive it until it has 400K

Amazing little car
By Ed

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic new in 1998 and kept it for nearly 11 years. In that time I had to make only two unscheduled repairs: first to replace the muffler and then the power window regulator. Overall it's been a great car - reliable, fuel efficient, and pretty fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission.

Favorite Features

Stellar reliability - these cars easily hit 200K miles with minimal repairs; fuel efficiency - I routinely get around 34 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce road/engine noise; improve exterior paint (wears easily especially if exposed to a lot of sun)... that's about it.

My Sweet Honda
By courtneyjilll

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This is the only car I have ever owned, and until I can save up to buy a new one with cash, it will be. This car had 72 miles on it when I got it 11 years ago, and has 236,000 today. Other than replacing the exhaust manifold and the blower motor on the air conditioner,it has only required regular maintenance. It gets good gas mileage, around 350 miles a tank. It is super reliable, and I don't think that I will ever love a car as much. If it breaks down tomorrow, it has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders. Anything larger than a can drink is liable to fall out when you make a turn.

Go Turbo!
By jayspreewell

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and it's still alive and running like a champ although it's no ordinary Honda, i use to complain everyone has one but i now see why they are super reliable and not only that the customizations you can do are endless. I recently sold my old motor with 180k+ miles and still got a lot for it, i decided to replace the old one for added performance along i bought a turbo kit with all the goodies, custom paint job, rims and tires, hid lights/chrome headlights and tail lights, exhaust, short shifter, bodykit, coil overs, carbon fiber hood, and much more its show ready!

Favorite Features

V-TECH! so many upgrades to make the car the way you wanted to express yourself. it's what makes each one different

Suggested Improvements

can get quite noisy inside cabin regardless of exhaust