1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
no more CVT
By Jake on 06/13/06 08:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

have this car for a while. if you're planning on buying an used HX, DO NOT buy one with CVT transmission. it's like the worst tranny i've ever seen. it gives you no performance, car is slow, tranny belt slips and weird noise from the tranny as it ages. it also makes the car idle like crap especially when its cold. other than the transmission, its a very good car. engine still runs smooth (my car has 140k miles already), AC still blows cold, quiet interior, very good gas mileage (33mpg, all i do is city driving).

Great Car!
By civicman on 04/16/06 17:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This car just crossed 170000 miles. It was bought new after its model year, so my dad and I are the only owners. The only thing that was ever REALLY wrong was that the exhaust came apart under the car (as it did with two other Civics I know of). It was easily and cheaply replaced. Around 160000 I started hearing a whirring, and took it to the transmission place. They said it needed to be rebuilt, but couldn't point to an exact cause. I did it, and the noise is gone (or maybe just diminished), but I've since become convinced I was ripped off. I expect to get another 80000 miles out of it at least, and I'd rather buy a new engine for it than a new car!

1998 Civic EX 5spd
By Tony on 04/11/06 18:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for almost six years it's got over 120,000 miles and still runs like new. I have never done anything to the engine or transmission, just regular oil change every 3K miles and a maintenance timing belt and water pump at 90K. Air filter and brakes when required. I'm getting 33mpg. It's a very reliable car.

Not for the Young at Heart
By Ken Beaty on 03/12/06 08:31 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I am quite pleased with the auto. The exhaust manifold was replaced at 57,500 miles. Currently, at about 72,000 miles, I am experiencing a slip on the automatic transmission. I have developed a knee problem, and it has become very difficult for me to exit the vehicle. I imagine that would be the case with many seniors and those with arthritic conditions.

everyone should have this car!
By Atlanta Driver on 03/11/06 06:30 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I hear people with SUVs whining about their gas mileage, maintenance costs, and other stuff, and their jaw drops when I tell them I spend about $20 a week on gas! I bought this car in 10/03 w/ 53k miles and since then have driven the heck out of it. I now have 106k on it and have had no problems at all. I have done most of the big scheduled stuff on the car (spark plugs, timing belt, etc) and it runs like new! It also is a LOT cheaper to maintain than my wife's Liberty. My 6'3" stepfather is comfortable in the backseat. Drives smoother than any other compact I have ever ridden in! I love it!

Best car for the money
By mark v. on 02/25/06 18:00 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Though the 1.6 litre engine is not as good as the newer 35 m.p.g. civics it still delivers a good 25-30 m.p.g. While maintaning enough power to deliver high altitude performance at even 15000 feet above sea level. That said however stay away from cheaper low grade corn based alchohol fuels they can cut fuel efficiency by one-third so you refuel more often and you will spend more hard earned $ in the long run.

I dig my HX
By belrod on 02/25/06 11:33 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a manual HX, and, overall, I've been very satisfied with the car. With about 65,000 miles on it, this car sees mostly urban roads (especially the Capital Beltway), and is mainly used for shorts trips and commutes. This daily wear and tear has started to affect the starter and clutch a little bit (which hesitate or slip occasionally), but the car is still very reliable. I've only had one major issue with it: the muffler rusted and fell off at about 57,500 miles. Otherwise, she's running strong and still looks great. And, except for newer diesels or hybrids, you can't beat the MPG. Recommended for anyone shopping for the ideal commuter car.

Excellent reliability
By CBdriver on 01/30/06 16:18 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for the reliability and I have not been disappointed. I go for my oil changes and everything runs smoothly. It is a peppy car for a 4 cyl and is comfortable, though I am short. The gas mileage is incredible, I can get over 30 MPG when I am driving mainly on the highway though generally now it is about 28 with mainly city driving. That is often with the sunroof open. I am considering a new car and may get another Civic but will definitely get a Honda based on my experience with this car.

What a great car
By cruizinone on 11/24/05 16:41 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

Since I owned this car, I put a total of 650.00 into repairs (brakes & tires) This is one GREAT car. Never lets me down and does not need a lot of maint. Thanks GOD, the car is lucky if I remember to put oil in it. This car is so much fun to drive. Even my friends ask to drive it. I have been told that this car will run for 200,000 + miles. This is my first honda and I am looking to get another, if something should ever happen to his one.

My 1998 Honda totaled.
By David J. Measer on 10/10/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

In Sept. 2005 a van ran a red light into the passenger door of my Honda. I had 44000 miles on it and consistently got between 30 and 34 miles per gallon. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement