Used 1998 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Civic
By aeman21

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought the Civic with 144,000 miles. I now have 146,000 miles. I traded my 1999 Civic LX 4-door for this car, and it was a great decision. My '98 EX is a stick as opposed to my '99 LX auto. It has much better gas mileage and is a lot more fun to drive.

Manual transmission. I have aftermarket Ractive exhaust that sounds amazing!

Fix cup holders!

best car ive owned
By lang

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Ive owned my honda ex for about 8 years and i can honestly say that it has been the best car i have ever owned. Ive put 286,000 miles on it and yes ive had to put some money into it. eventually things wear out however, it has never "broken down" on me and i have never had to worry about it starting. The only flaw with this vehicle that i can see is that the exhaust rusts out quickly. other than that scheduled maintenance is all this baby needs to run like a top!! i have had to get frequent alignments but that could be my driving or the roads in maine or both. if i could wish for an improvement it would be a quieter ride. other than that i have no complains. handles well,mpg about 33 highway.

the manual shift is a pleasure to work with a deep throw but very smooth. + the controls are very ergodynamic.

less road noise. and more cushioning of the seat would be welcome.

Name says it all! Honda Civic EX Coupe!
By RichB

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This car has been awesome. Owned it for almost 10 years. Just tripped 64k and still runs like a top. But times have changed and I've gone from just me to a wife, 2 kids, and me. So, I'm going from one extreme to another... trading it in on a 2007 Tundra CrewMax. It's hard to let go, but it must be done. I know someone else will enjoy it for another 10 years or more.

Honda quality and reliability, great gas mileage, fun to drive 5 speed!

Looking at the new Civics, I'd say plenty of improvements have been made. Still, it was great just like it was.

My black baby
By chronodev87

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

1) The shape is classy and cool, especially in black with tasteful tinting. 2) The mileage of course. 3) It feels very well-built. There are a few rattles, but nothing major. 4) The Vtec-E technology is pretty clever (if not sporty). 5) The alloys are a nice touch.

None at this time.

no more CVT
By Jake

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

have this car for a while. if you're planning on buying an used HX, DO NOT buy one with CVT transmission. it's like the worst tranny i've ever seen. it gives you no performance, car is slow, tranny belt slips and weird noise from the tranny as it ages. it also makes the car idle like crap especially when its cold. other than the transmission, its a very good car. engine still runs smooth (my car has 140k miles already), AC still blows cold, quiet interior, very good gas mileage (33mpg, all i do is city driving).

good gas mileage, smooth highway ride

TRANSMISSION!!! a little more power, better stereo