Used 1998 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Name says it all! Honda Civic EX Coupe!
By RichB

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

This car has been awesome. Owned it for almost 10 years. Just tripped 64k and still runs like a top. But times have changed and I've gone from just me to a wife, 2 kids, and me. So, I'm going from one extreme to another... trading it in on a 2007 Tundra CrewMax. It's hard to let go, but it must be done. I know someone else will enjoy it for another 10 years or more.

Favorite Features

Honda quality and reliability, great gas mileage, fun to drive 5 speed!

Suggested Improvements

Looking at the new Civics, I'd say plenty of improvements have been made. Still, it was great just like it was.

My black baby
By chronodev87

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

Favorite Features

1) The shape is classy and cool, especially in black with tasteful tinting. 2) The mileage of course. 3) It feels very well-built. There are a few rattles, but nothing major. 4) The Vtec-E technology is pretty clever (if not sporty). 5) The alloys are a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

no more CVT
By Jake

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

have this car for a while. if you're planning on buying an used HX, DO NOT buy one with CVT transmission. it's like the worst tranny i've ever seen. it gives you no performance, car is slow, tranny belt slips and weird noise from the tranny as it ages. it also makes the car idle like crap especially when its cold. other than the transmission, its a very good car. engine still runs smooth (my car has 140k miles already), AC still blows cold, quiet interior, very good gas mileage (33mpg, all i do is city driving).

Favorite Features

good gas mileage, smooth highway ride

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION!!! a little more power, better stereo

Great Car!
By civicman

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This car just crossed 170000 miles. It was bought new after its model year, so my dad and I are the only owners. The only thing that was ever REALLY wrong was that the exhaust came apart under the car (as it did with two other Civics I know of). It was easily and cheaply replaced. Around 160000 I started hearing a whirring, and took it to the transmission place. They said it needed to be rebuilt, but couldn't point to an exact cause. I did it, and the noise is gone (or maybe just diminished), but I've since become convinced I was ripped off. I expect to get another 80000 miles out of it at least, and I'd rather buy a new engine for it than a new car!

Favorite Features

The car is really easy to work on, there is an infinite market for parts to customize it, it's very light and pretty quick in spite of its low power numbers (106hp/105lbft), best of all it doesn't ever break. (Notice that when I took it in it was only a noise, the car NEVER broke down in its life.)

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats and even more power. Both of which I'll happily take care of myself! I wish it had a sunroof like the '99-'00 Si models.

1998 Civic EX 5spd
By Tony

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for almost six years it's got over 120,000 miles and still runs like new. I have never done anything to the engine or transmission, just regular oil change every 3K miles and a maintenance timing belt and water pump at 90K. Air filter and brakes when required. I'm getting 33mpg. It's a very reliable car.

Favorite Features

I like the way it handles on the road. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise should be reduce specially when engine is over 4000rpm.