1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Reliable Economy Car
By jkwcivil on 11/24/07 20:42 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law purchased this car for my wife while we were still dating. That was about 6 years ago when it had approximately 40,000 miles. The car now has over 155,000 and is still running strong. We have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and do the other maintenance that is recommended by the manufacturer. The car has proven to be a hassel free daily driver and I expect that will continue well into the future.

best car ive owned
By lang on 08/23/07 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Ive owned my honda ex for about 8 years and i can honestly say that it has been the best car i have ever owned. Ive put 286,000 miles on it and yes ive had to put some money into it. eventually things wear out however, it has never "broken down" on me and i have never had to worry about it starting. The only flaw with this vehicle that i can see is that the exhaust rusts out quickly. other than that scheduled maintenance is all this baby needs to run like a top!! i have had to get frequent alignments but that could be my driving or the roads in maine or both. if i could wish for an improvement it would be a quieter ride. other than that i have no complains. handles well,mpg about 33 highway.

Best Car Ever
By Stefani on 07/29/07 20:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

All Civics are great vehicles. I've owned two. Both were totaled, only reason I've had to buy another car. 98 Civic totaled with me driving - hit on driver's side by head on collision by Chevy Malibu. Had to be pried out by Jaws of Life. Want to buy another Civic - only small bruises on my body!! Miracle I'm not hurt worse. Only problem with car, front power window was going out. Will always recommend Hondas. Will never find a better vehicle!

Name says it all! Honda Civic EX Coupe!
By RichB on 06/28/07 19:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This car has been awesome. Owned it for almost 10 years. Just tripped 64k and still runs like a top. But times have changed and I've gone from just me to a wife, 2 kids, and me. So, I'm going from one extreme to another... trading it in on a 2007 Tundra CrewMax. It's hard to let go, but it must be done. I know someone else will enjoy it for another 10 years or more.

Better than Civics of 2007
By tokyojonny on 05/21/07 18:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say? I bought this car in October of 1998, it spent two years on a trickle charger while I was stationed overseas from 2001-2003, and then started up like I never left when I got back to the U.S. Aside from the A/C that imploded last summer at 100,000 miles (~1800 bucks to replace the whole system--yikes!) and an exhaust leak noticed at 80,000 (no need to replace), I have had absolutely no problems with this car. Take it in for scheduled maintainance and forget your worries.

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer on 03/08/07 11:59 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

Civic Commuter
By Jay on 11/29/06 11:29 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic with 21000 miles. I now have over 109000 miles with no major issues. The manual transmission hasn't given me any of the issues that other people describe with their automatics. I replaced the exhaust within the last year, but if you live in the salt belt this is to be expected. I also replaced the original battery last winter, it was 8 years old. The car handles well, but is no BMW.

My black baby
By chronodev87 on 08/24/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

Good Car
By Josh on 08/22/06 10:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my civic for about 3 years now, and so far its been very reliable. Only problems have been the exhuast tends to rust easily especially after salty winters. Though even with upgraded engine components still feels like it lacks power. But absolutely no major issues for 3 years of driving it everyday. Definitely recommend the manual transmission as it is peppy, but car is still very slow. Looks good but dents very easily. Easy to find spare parts for this car also.

Love it!
By Susan on 07/03/06 11:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I love this car so much that I've kept it for 8 years! I'll probably have to get a new car soon, because of space issues in the back seat (it's too difficult for elderly parents to get into the back seat!)