Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My favorite car ever
By Civicpride

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car ever. I have almost 150,000 miles on it, taught my kid to drive it (hence, all the dings) and other than replacing the catalytic converter I have only done scheduled maintenance. Runs like a top. I was too tall to get the EX and maybe that's a good thing.

Favorite Features

Runs like a top. Old Blue still looks pretty sharp after a good wash job. Pretty big trunk. Nice head room in back.

Suggested Improvements

A better radio and just a little more power.

Satisfied
By Rusty

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my high school son six years ago with 63000 miles. He's put on another 119000 hard miles on it. During most of this time the only thing required was regular maintenance (fluids, filters, plugs, belts, blades and hoses). Did replace radiator last year(an easy self-install for $100). Just last month was first major problem - oil pump died and engine fried. Replaced it with a used moter that had 79K and while everything was apart replaced the clutch, water pump, belts and she's ready for the road again. I guess the A/C, CV joints and power windows are eventually due to fail, but so far so good.

Favorite Features

Obviously the reliability of the car has been absolutely phenomenal, always 30 to 35 mpg's and safe, sporty handling to boot (very smooth 5-spd tranny). Almost the same experience with a 1991 Accord. Honda built some outstanding cars in the 90's.

Suggested Improvements

My only beef with this car has been the quality of paint - too much fading and wearing - and the cheap, sun glazed plastic headlamp covers. Guess south Texas summers are rough on these things.

The Best Little Honda ever
By Rachael

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I ran my little red 98 Honda civic dx into the ground. I was hoping it would last me until I graduated college but after almost 9 years it's time had come...a piston broke in the engine which would have been twice as much as the car. She had a long run. She went through 5 break ins, 5 stolen radios, 2 mufflers and exhaust systems, 2 windshield replacements, 2 window cranks, 2 sideview mirrors, a starter, sparkplugs and 4 accidents one being with a 10-point buck at 70 mph. Although she shook when I got her to 80, she rode right along at 120. Although the interior and exterior wasn't anything fancy, she ran long and hard through thick and thin. RIP little Honda...best car ever.

Favorite Features

Engine ran 150,000 miles + through everything and the car parts are completely inexpensive. Fantastic gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality parts.

Good solid car, but unexpected repairs
By JAprill

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Honda in April of 2004 with 106,000 miles on it. It drove great and looked great. It lasted me through two years of high school and four years of college. After about 150,000 miles, the repairs started getting more expensive and frequent. The exhaust system was a major problem- - the entire system needed to be replaced. A check engine light came on at 175,000 miles and after many diagnostic tests it was found that the computer was fried-- costing around 1200. Overall good car. Big problems to look out for: electrical and exhaust.

Favorite Features

great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

exhaust system

Most Reliable Car Ever Made!!!
By INVNTDTHWHL

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Honda Civic HX brand new and have been driving it ever since. I have taken moderate care of it over the years and it doesn't matter. It just keeps going strong. Honda must have made these cars for people like me who wait a few extra thousand miles to change their oil and rarely look under the hood. I call my Honda "The Mule" because you can beat the hell out of it and it will get you to work the next day no matter what. Never had a problem and will surely buy a Honda the next time around.

Favorite Features

Simplicity. No bells and whistles. Power windows, door locks, steering, mirrors, etc. and cold AC and nothing else. Keeping it simple kept this car going without a hickup for the last 11 years.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure Honda has come up with some new stuff for the Civic since 98 but I didn't miss anything.