Used 1998 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Car
By Kris

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My family has had this car for a while. My older brother bought it, he was the 2nd owner. Then my father bought it. After 3 or 4 years, of driving it, it now has just rolled past 173,000 miles. This is my first car. The only problems we have had with it is the AC stopped before we even got it. It still runs like new.

Favorite Features

Looks, alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, 2.0 liter.

Reliable Economy Car
By jkwcivil

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law purchased this car for my wife while we were still dating. That was about 6 years ago when it had approximately 40,000 miles. The car now has over 155,000 and is still running strong. We have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and do the other maintenance that is recommended by the manufacturer. The car has proven to be a hassel free daily driver and I expect that will continue well into the future.

Favorite Features

This is an economy car, therefore, not much flare. The seat upholstery has proven to be very stain and wear resistant.

Suggested Improvements

It has a good deal of road noise, but I think it has been lessened in newer models.

Best Car Ever
By Stefani

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

All Civics are great vehicles. I've owned two. Both were totaled, only reason I've had to buy another car. 98 Civic totaled with me driving - hit on driver's side by head on collision by Chevy Malibu. Had to be pried out by Jaws of Life. Want to buy another Civic - only small bruises on my body!! Miracle I'm not hurt worse. Only problem with car, front power window was going out. Will always recommend Hondas. Will never find a better vehicle!

Favorite Features

Great driver's side impact features. Great gas mileage! Only $20.00 to fill gas tank and it lasted 2 weeks for me. Very reliable. No major problems.

Better than Civics of 2007
By tokyojonny

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say? I bought this car in October of 1998, it spent two years on a trickle charger while I was stationed overseas from 2001-2003, and then started up like I never left when I got back to the U.S. Aside from the A/C that imploded last summer at 100,000 miles (~1800 bucks to replace the whole system--yikes!) and an exhaust leak noticed at 80,000 (no need to replace), I have had absolutely no problems with this car. Take it in for scheduled maintainance and forget your worries.

Favorite Features

Unbelievable reliability, outstanding mileage, design, cabin/trunk space, keep up with scheduled maintainance and it is unfailing.

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust system and A/C are consistent and expensive problems for Civics built in 1998. Mine was no exception. Also, upgrade to wider tires/rims. The stock tires/rims for this model year have the dexterity of aluminum cans while taking corners at speed.

Civic Commuter
By Jay

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic with 21000 miles. I now have over 109000 miles with no major issues. The manual transmission hasn't given me any of the issues that other people describe with their automatics. I replaced the exhaust within the last year, but if you live in the salt belt this is to be expected. I also replaced the original battery last winter, it was 8 years old. The car handles well, but is no BMW.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, I get 30 in the city and 35 on the highway. Reliability is so good that I can't justify getting rid of it. Emergency braking is great on wet/dry conditions even without stability control and antilock brakes. Good leg and shoulder room for 4 adults in a compact.

Suggested Improvements

Standard anti-lock brakes. Adjustable cup holders, tall water bottles will be tossed out around a corner. A more dent resistant body.