1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
I love my Civic!
By Shonda on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

The Honda Civic was my very first car. When I first bought it, it had been a demo car and had a little over four thousand miles on it. For four years I drove it nearly eight hundred miles to and from college. It never let me down. If any parents are interested in buying their child a reliable car, the Honda Civic is the one.

Don't Understand Why All the Praise
By vabiker on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I don't have too many positive things to say about this car. I bought the car to get a reliable, high mileage, AT car. The car has always gotten low mileage (25/31) in mixed driving. Never higher than 32mpg in 100% Interstate travel. The trunklid is a guillotine despite the installation of a special spoiler-supporting trunklid torsion element. The exterior paint is eggshell fragile. Alternator was warranty replaced at 10K miles. The '92 Saturn SL I owned for 10yrs. was a better car than this one. We bought the Honda for it's glowing reputation, and based on my experience, I have to wonder how it was ever acquired...

Excellent Car!
By Jsabe03 on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 69,000 miles in 2001. I have driven to Chicago, Cleveland, and other places. It never fails to start. I now have 111,000 miles and it runs like it has 2 miles on it. The only thing ihave had to repair was the A/C system, other than that it is the perfect car. WAY BETTER THAN ANY CAVALIER OR SUNFIRE AND DEFINITELY BETTER THAN A NEON!!

Workhorse
By Jim S. on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 other Honda's and needed a workhorse to take care of 4 kids and a hockey coach. I bought the 'demo' with 8000 miles on it already back in 10/98. It has been a very dependable car. I've done the recommended maintenance on the vehicle and had the timing belt replaced when it hit 80K, (that was based on previous experience and manual recommendation). I liked the style of it and it was designed well and comfortable as well as fun to drive..just ask my kids!!

civic fun to love
By mmather on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

fantastic car i do not want to resell

Transmission Woes
By sat on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Watch out for transmission problems of Civic. The automatic transmission started to upshift very harshly. It seems to be a common issue for Civics. I did not bother about this until it happened to my car (well maintained, cared-for, less than 50K miles and of course out of warranty).

Commuter's Take On The '98 Civic
By Nahani on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my first Honda, a '98 Civic LX, in January 2002. I knew that they were extremely reliable cars, but beyond that, I wasn't sure what owning one would be like. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it, and it currently has 62,400. I've only had a few minor problems with the car, includiong two recalls and a loose heatshield. The heatshield was probably from bouncing down the rough roads in Vermont.

It's a good car but.....
By Legna on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I miss my Volvo and my VW GLX- VR6every day I have to drive this Car. Although very reliable, and I appreciate the improved gas mileage from my previous cars....It's boring, too light (I get blown into the next lane on windy days), the a/c can't keep up w/ the humidity in Chicago, overall quality is too cheap, the handling is poor (I hate the jerk of the transmission from taking off from a stop and the horrible control when you go over 70 mph--good tires do help some). Liven it up guys....there's nothing fun about drivng this car, I'm thrilled I have a luxury car to drive every other day when I'm not commuting an abusurd distance to work every day.

What happened Honda?
By Love-A-Nissan on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My fiancee owned the car for about two years before finally getting rid of it after the transmission went out with less than 50000 miles on it. If this had been just about any other import car the rapairs would have been covered under the powertrain warranty, but not on a Honda. The exhaust manifold had also cracked on the car about a year earlier. I have a friend with a 2000 Accord coupe that is aslo having transmission trouble. Where is that Honda quality I always hear about? I'll stick with Nissan. They build more exciting cars at a better value and I have never had aproblem with any of my Nissan vehicles.

215,000 miles-more! just a few dings...
By Hondas rule! on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Went over 214,000 miles...no sign of letting up! Was offered 5k last week, but until I find something as good- why part ways? Car gets dinged up more easily than others... can't get out of its own way up hills but GREAT car!!! buy 2 of them!