1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Aging Honda not all that bad . . .
By Lee on 05/25/05 23:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased our Honda Civic LX new in February 1998. Aside from normal maintenance we also experienced the cracked exhaust manifold problem. It now has alomst 100,000 miles and that his, honestly, the only problem we've had. Interior layout leaves something to be desired and the cramped cup holders are weak compared to other more user friendly designs. Overall the car feels cheaply made. The four banger really struggles when climbing hills and the automatic transmission is kinda jumpy.

Very reliable
By Lynn on 03/29/05 23:41 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of my Honda Civic. I've had it for over 3 years and I have never had to get repairs. Very dependable and great for fuel economy.

Won't Buy Honda next time
By MW2005 on 03/11/05 10:30 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

First of all, I purchased the vehicle when its mileage was @ 21,000. Within the first year (and at the same "fix it" visit), I had to REPLACE the Exhaust Manifold (had a crack in it) and had the A/Trans. worked on. In 2002, I experienced probs w/the Electrical System. I've purchased at least 4 car batteries since I bought the financial burden! Once again, my car hesitates/shutters, fails to start sometimes, AND appears to have a serious power drain somewhere. Last month I had the battery's charge checked (b/c my car had stalled at a stop sign!) and was told the battery was fine but that my Alternator needed to be looked at (AGAIN!). Also, I get TERRIBLE gas mileage - like 16 mpg.

Beware Civic Transmission Problems
By Concerned on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 66k miles and was the 3rd owner. Make sure to have your tran. checked before buying a Civic. After 13k miles and 7 months, having trans. problems (struggles on hills, doesn't accelerate, jerks into gear). Have had only minor repairs/maintenance. Driving pattern includes a lot of highway, back roads, and stop and go traffic. Only complaints is the ride, you feel everything and it rides like a truck when not on the highway. Overall good car but may purchase new car with A LOT more power.

1998 honda civic
By re on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

The mileage is 52000 driven and 20000 towed behind a motorhome...This unit is fully equipped for RV towing e.g. tow bar... wiring...air brake system extra rear magnetic tow lites...15 cu ft. yakima car top carrier..2 bike racks (1 top 1 rear...

Happy Customer
By Kaikilina on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I have no complaints about power because I know nothing will ever compare to my former Prelude. At about 78,000 miles the power locks are having issues (will be a few hundred $) and the breaks are a little squeeky, but this car is so adorable and I know it will last forever!

Did William Hung put the 'H' in Honda?
By myCivicsucks on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have been very disappointed with this car. The only thing that compares to it is William Hung's rendition of "She Bangs"...it's that bad. The transmission has gone out and still shifts violently, manifold has cracked, windows squeak, sunroof shade rattles, when windshield wipers are on they make an ANNOYING clicking sound inside the dash, and the paint is peeling. Also, the piece in the middle of the trunk that holds the license plate is probably going to fall off. Some other things that are a bother...everyone and their uncle owns this car and it has the personality of a lampshade. This car also offers FAR less than it's European competition.

New Styling. Tight Pkg. Still Popular!
By casper90651 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This was

Reliable but could improve
By CivicOwner on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 4 yrs. old, 21kmi, one owner. Very good car for driving around town--especially since it is an automatic, not that great on the highway. The base model is really basic, wish it had some more features (power locks, cruise control, ABS, A/C). Maintenance-free so far, 20 months and 27 kmiles later. Shift program problem: when accelerating after slowing down to about 20mph it shifts a lower gear and revvs the engine like crazy, sending shocks through the drivetrain. The windshield wipers have a weird pattern, leaving big portions un-wiped. Passenger-side wiper needs to grow to driver-side wiper size.

1998 Honda Civic 4D LX
By Sublime22786 on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Worthless cup holders, excellent for refab. parts and racing equipment.