Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love My Honda XD
By jamie_taylor

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I love my little red Honda! It currently has 199,602 miles on it, I have had it for about 3 years now and I have never had a car that has has this much fuel economy and power and still runs like new at 200k miles! I have done some minor modifications on this car, and now have about 55+mpg highway and about 45+city. All I did was put in performance spark plugs, wires and distributor, run full synthetic oil, and cold air intake with a k&n Filter (It cost me all of about 100 bucks)! I was always sceptical of 'Ricers' (this car was a gift from my fiance) and I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! I love my Honda :) It has been nothing but an exceptional vehicle, I am planning on making it last to 400k miles..

The Fuel Economy is amazing ( A new hybrid cannot even compare)! It never gives me too many problems! It is low cost for maintenance (even if the parts are a pain to find) It is an amazing piece of machinery, Honda certainly knew what to do when making this car. When will the competition be able to compete?! I have been a mechanic all of my life and I am constantly amazed by my Little Red Honda!!

None, save for MAKE THEM AGAIN!! No changes, this same car, brand new so I can have a new to break in so it will last even longer than the one I already have! Thank you Honda!!!

Very Reliable Economical Transportation
By exhaust_fan

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about six years and have only done one repair. Replaced the windshield wiper motor. Everything else has been maintenance. I get excellent gas mileage. 34-44. Great commuter car

Reliability Gas mileage

Maybe a little more bolster in the seats

Amazingly reliable
By Dean

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

My Civic is the Australian GLi model. She had made it to 185,000 km before a complete moron took it out in an accident. 60 kph front on and I got out with a scratch to the knee. In the three years she was with me, I had not one breakdown or a time that she didn't start. I did many road trips, in hot Australian Summers, anywhere up to 10,000 km a trip. I've often got fuel usage down to 5.5 L per 100 km as well, highway. I'll miss her, and will likely end up buying another Civic. :(

Reliability, looks, handling, fuel consumption.

Fair amount of road noise, but this is a trade off from being light weight. Also, Honda Australia needs to look at its part pricing. Much more expensive than everywhere else.

Reliable
By Bob

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 144K miles on it, from someone who commuted 140 miles a day. It now has 226K miles. I am conscientious about recommended maintenance, and of course brakes and exhaust have been replaced. Other than that the ONLY repairs have been a squealing idler pulley, and the ignition switch replaced under a recall. Still rides and handles well, looks good, no rattles.

Love My Car
By smiley2006

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I got my car over three years ago and it runs great. I have had to only fix minor things and thats usually my fault. I had to replace a door handle from a bad storm a few years ago (I just kept pulling). My car is great its fast, cute and great with gas. I am only getting rid of my car to get a 4 wheel drive SUV also going to be a Honda. I changed my family from Chevy lovers to Honda with my car.

Too many favorites to pick one

the only thing I don't like is my really tall friends cannot ride in the back comfortably.