Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 158 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I dig my HX
By belrod

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a manual HX, and, overall, I've been very satisfied with the car. With about 65,000 miles on it, this car sees mostly urban roads (especially the Capital Beltway), and is mainly used for shorts trips and commutes. This daily wear and tear has started to affect the starter and clutch a little bit (which hesitate or slip occasionally), but the car is still very reliable. I've only had one major issue with it: the muffler rusted and fell off at about 57,500 miles. Otherwise, she's running strong and still looks great. And, except for newer diesels or hybrids, you can't beat the MPG. Recommended for anyone shopping for the ideal commuter car.

Gas mileage; sporty looks; reliability

Smoothing out the "kick" when accelerating from highway speeds (results from the other 3 cylinders starting back up)

Excellent reliability
By CBdriver

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for the reliability and I have not been disappointed. I go for my oil changes and everything runs smoothly. It is a peppy car for a 4 cyl and is comfortable, though I am short. The gas mileage is incredible, I can get over 30 MPG when I am driving mainly on the highway though generally now it is about 28 with mainly city driving. That is often with the sunroof open. I am considering a new car and may get another Civic but will definitely get a Honda based on my experience with this car.

Gas mileage. Reliability (I have not had one problem). Comfortable and peppy for an economical car.

Did not come with a CD or cassette player. Not a lot of room for passengers.

What a great car
By cruizinone

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

Since I owned this car, I put a total of 650.00 into repairs (brakes & tires) This is one GREAT car. Never lets me down and does not need a lot of maint. Thanks GOD, the car is lucky if I remember to put oil in it. This car is so much fun to drive. Even my friends ask to drive it. I have been told that this car will run for 200,000 + miles. This is my first honda and I am looking to get another, if something should ever happen to his one.

Fun to drive, low maint.

Comfort of the driver seat.

My 1998 Honda totaled.
By David J. Measer

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

In Sept. 2005 a van ran a red light into the passenger door of my Honda. I had 44000 miles on it and consistently got between 30 and 34 miles per gallon. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement

Mileage & workmanship. Pleasure to drive

Power steering.

Nice car!
By Yablokov

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. I get great gas mileage. And now I get about 44mpg on the highway(80mph). I put a custom exhaust and a cold air intake; now the car screams while giving me great gas mileage

Vtec, upgradablility, glances

Better seats. and more head room.