1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Good car except for some rust
By pwang on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is a good car to drive. However, I discovered rust around the feuling neck. I showed it to the dealer when it was still under warranty. The dealer told me that there was rust but, it was fine. Now, my car is over the warranty period, it is getting worse. They are saying since it does not rust through. Honda won't do anything about it. I had a 1983 Honda and it had the same problem. It contaiminated the feuling system... I don't see why Honda won't do anything about it. Do I have to wait until they issue a recall and have they repay the cost to clean the system? (They did last time...)

Gotta Love Them Civic's
By justin0485 on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I love my 1998 Honda Civic, so far it has been a really good car. It is a big difference from my last car which was a 1995 Ford Contour with about 10 recalls on it. The only little problem with my car which has the automatic transmission, it shifts really hard, but maybe that's like Honda. Other than that I love it, it has great build quality and a lot of safety features. I love the valet key idea and autolock which was not on any Ford, the crash tests are much better, sunroof is great, and the keyless entry is another plus (why doesn't it have a trunk opener button). Oh well, I'm very satisfied with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Great Gas Mileage... most of the time
By Citan on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Decent car, decent ride, decent handling, off the line pickup isn't that great with the automatic, but passing power is decent. Only con so far would be: any time the gas tank has fewer than 3 gallons in it, its nearly impossible to start, the dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it, nor have they been able to duplicate the problem (always how those things go) Also, the dealership was a ripoff for trade-ins, and are a pain to work with in general.

First foreign car
By GoldenOne on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Love it, love it, love it! I purchased my '98 Civic EX coupe in '97 and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. 55k and the only thing that I had replaced was a altenator, which they fixed promptly. My husband likes to drive it and fits comfortably in it (he's 6'4). We're thinking about having kids, so we might look into something a little bigger. But I just can't part with my Civic. We'll DEFINATLY stick with Honda, maybe we'll go to a 4dr or if I have it my way... an Accord. :)

Honda the car
By Yahoo on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Cool!!! very dependable car. I'M using it since 4 years and so far all I had change is break pads.

honda needs a truck
By cns7 on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

A vehicle with the ability to let you forget about the hood release and jus drive. Normal maintenance is as simple and minimal as any car since the model T and comfort is good even for my 6'4 frame.

Transmission Woes!!
By StaceyKnight on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of it's reliability record (after owning a very troublesome and expensive VW VR6). It only has 28,000 miles on it and the automatic transmission needs to be replaced because of a design defect which causes it to shift brutally hard. Unfortunately, it's out of warranty and its a $4000 problem for me. I've discussed this with more than one Honda dealer and it's not an uncommon problem, so watch out!!

Exhaust Manifold Problems
By BigBri on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

'96 and '97 Civics had an issue with their exhaust manifolds cracking. The EPA forced Honda to extend their warranty. I had the exact same problem with my '98 Civic, but Honda did not assume any liability. I was unimpressed by their corporate customer service. The car is great, but that exhaust manifold was a pain!

RELIABLE VEHICLE
By ANTHONY on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

SO FAR MY HONDA CIVIC HX COUPE HAS BEEN THE MOST RELIABLE AND FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED. IT FEELS GOOD TO KNOW THE VEHICLE WILL START AND RUN EVERY TIME I NEED IT TO. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN TEXAS CITY TEXAS AND HAVE TAKEN MY HONDA TO SEE THE GRAND CANYON, COLORADO SPRINGS, CARLSBAD CAVERNS AND ALL OVER TEXAS. I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THE MOTOR OR TRANSMISSION. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS WITH THE CLEAR COAT FLAKING IN A SMALL AREA ABOVE THE DRIVER SIDE WINDOWN. I HAVE RECOMMENDED HONDA VEHICLES TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES.

Best Buy Ever
By 8AMAKTA on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I just got this car and it's a blast the engine is strong and the interior design is flawless. 2dr feels like 4dr sedan plenty of room for the family.