1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
What hasn't been said about this car?
By spideymike1 on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used as a second car. Have owned Honda's in the past and after test driving this little Civic, I realized that I should still be owning Hondas! It could very well be the only car I would say would last 150K+ miles and still look good! Gas milage is great, the 5spd is peppy. Even the factory stereo with the add-on CD player is nice. What more could you get for under 10k used?

Only nice at high speeds.
By K Reeves on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

My 98 honda civic was the first new car I purchased. I have not been as satisfied I would have liked. The headliner (around the sunroof) started to squeak around 12,000 and needed 3 visits to the dealership before being fixed. The car has not started on two or three ocassions, according to the dealer the engine was flooded.Also now it is only 4 years old, has been very well maintaned and barely passes smog this year.

best car for the price level
By akuoh on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Lucky me. Got it as a bday present in '98 and have been driving the hell out of ever since. Installed a CD changer and alarm as the only extras. The interior is pretty noisy. But after renting a Neon for a trip (it only had 3 gears!), I've come to realize how well built and designed everything is on this car. Plus the mileage is great (32-35mpg) and no mechnical troubles at all. Great car all around. Sure, I can always want more things in a car, but I won't need it outside of what my Civic has offered.

I love this car
By tubachubbs on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car right before the school year started and I love it. The interior is very well designed and I prefer the dash location for the power sunroof, though there are those that despise it. My auto does suffer from horribly slow upshifts, however, though it is still very fun to drive. The best thing about this car is the pelithora of aftermarket parts that can be utilized to make the car your own and increase performance. The only thing I would change about my car would be to throw out the auto a put a five-speed manuel in it. I have driven manuel versions and they are the best.

awesome little car
By Archey on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 civic in 2000 and have never had a problem with it. I commuted over 100 miles on most days to go from home to college to work and then back home. Never one problem. It got great gas milage, a big plus for me. It even did good in the snow, especially with studded snow tires. Even though my car has nearly 100K on it, it's still going strong. My family buys only Hondas and have never had problems with any of them.

Short on dough? Civic's the way to go.
By Joe Kinney on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

If it weren't for that darn school bus slamming into me, I'd still be driving my Civic today. What it lacks in low- end torque, it makes up for once the peppy VTEC kicks in. This car is affordable, reliable, & fun to drive. If you're on a budget, never fear. Look no further than the Civic EX . . . you won't regret it!

Honda Civic CX
By JBC on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This is a very good little car, but it is not the best value in the Honda line. The CX model does not have power steering and is difficult to park.

Quality and realiability
By malevans on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Plain and simple, this automobile is a joy to own. It performs suprisingly well on the road given the fuel economy, and gives a superb comfortable ride, inside and out. Fit and finish is excellent, with few annoying return trips to the dealership ever required. All neccessary controls are within easy reach over the driver for ease of use.

I love my car
By noelle on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I got my first car a honda civic cx in 1998, and i love it.. no hastle no problems, my service advisor is great, all the maintenance is done at ball honda, and for a small car, its decent. my next car will be honda again...

Last Honda I will Purchase
By Tom Giese on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I know Honda has a reputation that precedes itself. That being said I must have purchased that one in a thousand defective vehicle. I have had nothing but problems with my car the past two years(check engine light constantly coming on) O2 sensors, transmission control unit ($2400). The engineers at Honda spent weeks helping service stations. When I tried to contact Honda for help with my problems I encountered the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Again my experience may buck the norm but it has been bad enough for me to catagorically state I will never again purchase a Honda. Cheers.