Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

everyone should have this car!
By Atlanta Driver

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I hear people with SUVs whining about their gas mileage, maintenance costs, and other stuff, and their jaw drops when I tell them I spend about $20 a week on gas! I bought this car in 10/03 w/ 53k miles and since then have driven the heck out of it. I now have 106k on it and have had no problems at all. I have done most of the big scheduled stuff on the car (spark plugs, timing belt, etc) and it runs like new! It also is a LOT cheaper to maintain than my wife's Liberty. My 6'3" stepfather is comfortable in the backseat. Drives smoother than any other compact I have ever ridden in! I love it!

Gas mileage, fun to drive, reliable. Interior space

Performance is not as good in the automatic (I have a manual).

Best car for the money
By mark v.

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Though the 1.6 litre engine is not as good as the newer 35 m.p.g. civics it still delivers a good 25-30 m.p.g. While maintaning enough power to deliver high altitude performance at even 15000 feet above sea level. That said however stay away from cheaper low grade corn based alchohol fuels they can cut fuel efficiency by one-third so you refuel more often and you will spend more hard earned $ in the long run.

The handling as well as the power response is excellent and for long drives of two hours plus I find the seat comfort superior. No back aches even for 8 hour drives.

The improvements are minor like higher grade metals for the body.paint longevity also but these have all been improved in the newer higher quality 2006 models with much better interior sealing all air leaks from window and door seals but alas that is also reflected in the 30 percent cost increase.

I dig my HX
By belrod

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a manual HX, and, overall, I've been very satisfied with the car. With about 65,000 miles on it, this car sees mostly urban roads (especially the Capital Beltway), and is mainly used for shorts trips and commutes. This daily wear and tear has started to affect the starter and clutch a little bit (which hesitate or slip occasionally), but the car is still very reliable. I've only had one major issue with it: the muffler rusted and fell off at about 57,500 miles. Otherwise, she's running strong and still looks great. And, except for newer diesels or hybrids, you can't beat the MPG. Recommended for anyone shopping for the ideal commuter car.

Gas mileage; sporty looks; reliability

Smoothing out the "kick" when accelerating from highway speeds (results from the other 3 cylinders starting back up)

Excellent reliability
By CBdriver

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for the reliability and I have not been disappointed. I go for my oil changes and everything runs smoothly. It is a peppy car for a 4 cyl and is comfortable, though I am short. The gas mileage is incredible, I can get over 30 MPG when I am driving mainly on the highway though generally now it is about 28 with mainly city driving. That is often with the sunroof open. I am considering a new car and may get another Civic but will definitely get a Honda based on my experience with this car.

Gas mileage. Reliability (I have not had one problem). Comfortable and peppy for an economical car.

Did not come with a CD or cassette player. Not a lot of room for passengers.

What a great car
By cruizinone

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

Since I owned this car, I put a total of 650.00 into repairs (brakes & tires) This is one GREAT car. Never lets me down and does not need a lot of maint. Thanks GOD, the car is lucky if I remember to put oil in it. This car is so much fun to drive. Even my friends ask to drive it. I have been told that this car will run for 200,000 + miles. This is my first honda and I am looking to get another, if something should ever happen to his one.

Fun to drive, low maint.

Comfort of the driver seat.