Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love it!
By Susan

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I love this car so much that I've kept it for 8 years! I'll probably have to get a new car soon, because of space issues in the back seat (it's too difficult for elderly parents to get into the back seat!)

Favorite Features

I can see over the dashboard (in some cars I have to sit on a pillow)...the rear window has a defrost feature... the hatchback is great

Suggested Improvements

Somehow make it easier to get into the backseat

no more CVT
By Jake

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

have this car for a while. if you're planning on buying an used HX, DO NOT buy one with CVT transmission. it's like the worst tranny i've ever seen. it gives you no performance, car is slow, tranny belt slips and weird noise from the tranny as it ages. it also makes the car idle like crap especially when its cold. other than the transmission, its a very good car. engine still runs smooth (my car has 140k miles already), AC still blows cold, quiet interior, very good gas mileage (33mpg, all i do is city driving).

Favorite Features

good gas mileage, smooth highway ride

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION!!! a little more power, better stereo

Great Car!
By civicman

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This car just crossed 170000 miles. It was bought new after its model year, so my dad and I are the only owners. The only thing that was ever REALLY wrong was that the exhaust came apart under the car (as it did with two other Civics I know of). It was easily and cheaply replaced. Around 160000 I started hearing a whirring, and took it to the transmission place. They said it needed to be rebuilt, but couldn't point to an exact cause. I did it, and the noise is gone (or maybe just diminished), but I've since become convinced I was ripped off. I expect to get another 80000 miles out of it at least, and I'd rather buy a new engine for it than a new car!

Favorite Features

The car is really easy to work on, there is an infinite market for parts to customize it, it's very light and pretty quick in spite of its low power numbers (106hp/105lbft), best of all it doesn't ever break. (Notice that when I took it in it was only a noise, the car NEVER broke down in its life.)

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats and even more power. Both of which I'll happily take care of myself! I wish it had a sunroof like the '99-'00 Si models.

1998 Civic EX 5spd
By Tony

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for almost six years it's got over 120,000 miles and still runs like new. I have never done anything to the engine or transmission, just regular oil change every 3K miles and a maintenance timing belt and water pump at 90K. Air filter and brakes when required. I'm getting 33mpg. It's a very reliable car.

Favorite Features

I like the way it handles on the road. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise should be reduce specially when engine is over 4000rpm.

Not for the Young at Heart
By Ken Beaty

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I am quite pleased with the auto. The exhaust manifold was replaced at 57,500 miles. Currently, at about 72,000 miles, I am experiencing a slip on the automatic transmission. I have developed a knee problem, and it has become very difficult for me to exit the vehicle. I imagine that would be the case with many seniors and those with arthritic conditions.