Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Better than Civics of 2007
By tokyojonny

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say? I bought this car in October of 1998, it spent two years on a trickle charger while I was stationed overseas from 2001-2003, and then started up like I never left when I got back to the U.S. Aside from the A/C that imploded last summer at 100,000 miles (~1800 bucks to replace the whole system--yikes!) and an exhaust leak noticed at 80,000 (no need to replace), I have had absolutely no problems with this car. Take it in for scheduled maintainance and forget your worries.

Unbelievable reliability, outstanding mileage, design, cabin/trunk space, keep up with scheduled maintainance and it is unfailing.

Exhaust system and A/C are consistent and expensive problems for Civics built in 1998. Mine was no exception. Also, upgrade to wider tires/rims. The stock tires/rims for this model year have the dexterity of aluminum cans while taking corners at speed.

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

LOVE everything about this car! Presently 135K on the odometer-- hoping to reach at least 300K if not more. Cars runs like new even after 9 years.

Wish the car sat higher off the ground, but this is a minor complaint in the great scheme of things.

Civic Commuter
By Jay

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic with 21000 miles. I now have over 109000 miles with no major issues. The manual transmission hasn't given me any of the issues that other people describe with their automatics. I replaced the exhaust within the last year, but if you live in the salt belt this is to be expected. I also replaced the original battery last winter, it was 8 years old. The car handles well, but is no BMW.

Excellent gas mileage, I get 30 in the city and 35 on the highway. Reliability is so good that I can't justify getting rid of it. Emergency braking is great on wet/dry conditions even without stability control and antilock brakes. Good leg and shoulder room for 4 adults in a compact.

Standard anti-lock brakes. Adjustable cup holders, tall water bottles will be tossed out around a corner. A more dent resistant body.

My black baby
By chronodev87

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

1) The shape is classy and cool, especially in black with tasteful tinting. 2) The mileage of course. 3) It feels very well-built. There are a few rattles, but nothing major. 4) The Vtec-E technology is pretty clever (if not sporty). 5) The alloys are a nice touch.

None at this time.

Good Car
By Josh

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my civic for about 3 years now, and so far its been very reliable. Only problems have been the exhuast tends to rust easily especially after salty winters. Though even with upgraded engine components still feels like it lacks power. But absolutely no major issues for 3 years of driving it everyday. Definitely recommend the manual transmission as it is peppy, but car is still very slow. Looks good but dents very easily. Easy to find spare parts for this car also.

Lightweight nimble car, good gas mileage, good looks, reliable.

Bad cup holder placement, dim guages, easily dented body, extremely weak engine, I recommend they have a rear sway bar standard on these cars because there is lots of body roll on turns, or just add one like i did for a few hundred dollars.