1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Love my Honda
By Tooch92 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This is my first Honda and I love it. It is so dependable. I live in upstate NY and drove home this year on Christmas Day- anyone living anywhere near this area remembers how many feet of snow we had! It is reliable, in excellent mechanical and physical condition and I would love to keep it forever!

Commuter's Take On The '98 Civic
By Nahani on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my first Honda, a '98 Civic LX, in January 2002. I knew that they were extremely reliable cars, but beyond that, I wasn't sure what owning one would be like. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it, and it currently has 62,400. I've only had a few minor problems with the car, includiong two recalls and a loose heatshield. The heatshield was probably from bouncing down the rough roads in Vermont.

It's a good car but.....
By Legna on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I miss my Volvo and my VW GLX- VR6every day I have to drive this Car. Although very reliable, and I appreciate the improved gas mileage from my previous cars....It's boring, too light (I get blown into the next lane on windy days), the a/c can't keep up w/ the humidity in Chicago, overall quality is too cheap, the handling is poor (I hate the jerk of the transmission from taking off from a stop and the horrible control when you go over 70 mph--good tires do help some). Liven it up guys....there's nothing fun about drivng this car, I'm thrilled I have a luxury car to drive every other day when I'm not commuting an abusurd distance to work every day.

Greatest Car To Buy
By jdm-man on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

What an excellent car. 40mpg, plenty of room, performs excellently, no power accesories, very stylish, and most importantly extremely modifiable.

What happened Honda?
By Love-A-Nissan on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

My fiancee owned the car for about two years before finally getting rid of it after the transmission went out with less than 50000 miles on it. If this had been just about any other import car the rapairs would have been covered under the powertrain warranty, but not on a Honda. The exhaust manifold had also cracked on the car about a year earlier. I have a friend with a 2000 Accord coupe that is aslo having transmission trouble. Where is that Honda quality I always hear about? I'll stick with Nissan. They build more exciting cars at a better value and I have never had aproblem with any of my Nissan vehicles.

GREAT CAR, FUN TO DRIVE!
By joelsbarbier on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

This is the best deal we have ever had for a car! It has maintained its value very well, and been completely reliable. And it's a lot of fun to drive!

215,000 miles-more! just a few dings...
By Hondas rule! on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Went over 214,000 miles...no sign of letting up! Was offered 5k last week, but until I find something as good- why part ways? Car gets dinged up more easily than others... can't get out of its own way up hills but GREAT car!!! buy 2 of them!

Hatchbacks Rule
By MushroomHunter on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

My Civic provides basic transportation with style. I love the styling both inside and out. The automatic transmission is very smooth in its shifting. The engine provides plenty of power even when the air conditioning is running. There have been a couple minor problems though. There is a rattle when the car is idling because the bolts that hold the heat shield on part of the exhausts system have rusted badly, but this could be easily remedied. Also, the hatchback does not stay up on its own because the pistons have worn out. Overall, I would recommend a Honda Civic hatchback to anyone in the market for a small fuel-efficient car.

I love my Civic EX
By Keisha on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Honda Civic EX used with only 41K miles. Thus far I haven't endured any problems. The car has really good gas mileage. I wouldn't expect any less from Honda. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

My honda
By kjen on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

My car has 104k miles and has not once given me any problems...alternater and new battery is the only thing i had to replace