Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 158 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

best car ive owned
By lang

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Ive owned my honda ex for about 8 years and i can honestly say that it has been the best car i have ever owned. Ive put 286,000 miles on it and yes ive had to put some money into it. eventually things wear out however, it has never "broken down" on me and i have never had to worry about it starting. The only flaw with this vehicle that i can see is that the exhaust rusts out quickly. other than that scheduled maintenance is all this baby needs to run like a top!! i have had to get frequent alignments but that could be my driving or the roads in maine or both. if i could wish for an improvement it would be a quieter ride. other than that i have no complains. handles well,mpg about 33 highway.

the manual shift is a pleasure to work with a deep throw but very smooth. + the controls are very ergodynamic.

less road noise. and more cushioning of the seat would be welcome.

Best Car Ever
By Stefani

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

All Civics are great vehicles. I've owned two. Both were totaled, only reason I've had to buy another car. 98 Civic totaled with me driving - hit on driver's side by head on collision by Chevy Malibu. Had to be pried out by Jaws of Life. Want to buy another Civic - only small bruises on my body!! Miracle I'm not hurt worse. Only problem with car, front power window was going out. Will always recommend Hondas. Will never find a better vehicle!

Great driver's side impact features. Great gas mileage! Only $20.00 to fill gas tank and it lasted 2 weeks for me. Very reliable. No major problems.

Name says it all! Honda Civic EX Coupe!
By RichB

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This car has been awesome. Owned it for almost 10 years. Just tripped 64k and still runs like a top. But times have changed and I've gone from just me to a wife, 2 kids, and me. So, I'm going from one extreme to another... trading it in on a 2007 Tundra CrewMax. It's hard to let go, but it must be done. I know someone else will enjoy it for another 10 years or more.

Honda quality and reliability, great gas mileage, fun to drive 5 speed!

Looking at the new Civics, I'd say plenty of improvements have been made. Still, it was great just like it was.

Better than Civics of 2007
By tokyojonny

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say? I bought this car in October of 1998, it spent two years on a trickle charger while I was stationed overseas from 2001-2003, and then started up like I never left when I got back to the U.S. Aside from the A/C that imploded last summer at 100,000 miles (~1800 bucks to replace the whole system--yikes!) and an exhaust leak noticed at 80,000 (no need to replace), I have had absolutely no problems with this car. Take it in for scheduled maintainance and forget your worries.

Unbelievable reliability, outstanding mileage, design, cabin/trunk space, keep up with scheduled maintainance and it is unfailing.

Exhaust system and A/C are consistent and expensive problems for Civics built in 1998. Mine was no exception. Also, upgrade to wider tires/rims. The stock tires/rims for this model year have the dexterity of aluminum cans while taking corners at speed.

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

LOVE everything about this car! Presently 135K on the odometer-- hoping to reach at least 300K if not more. Cars runs like new even after 9 years.

Wish the car sat higher off the ground, but this is a minor complaint in the great scheme of things.