Used 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

great little car
By andy birmingham

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

my son and i purchased this car in 09. he was a junior in high school, now he is a senior at unniversity of ar, started out at 28,000 miles now has 112,000 miles. we have replaced radiator, 2 water pumps , 2 timing belts , head gasket job, thermo stat , brake pads, right front door window regulator , new, interior, new hubcaps and $200,00 econo paint.................. the honda is just like new and we sure enjoy it........................ my son charlie likes it and loves the 35 mpg .............. he stated that he would drive it another 7 years and then apply for antique plates................. one of the best vehicles ever built . sincerely, andy birmingham

Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it.
I found a nice one-owner with 124K.
After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system.
That's it.
Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs.
That's all I've had to touch.
Everything works.
I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age.
It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood.
And I average 35 mpg.

Efficiency in all areas, not just mileage.

Tranny needs another gear.

The little engine that could
By Michael

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got it brand new at 12 miles, around the 7th yr / 70,000 parts start to break down, 2 oxygen sensors (1st around 73k, 2nd around 110k), 2 drive shafts (around 80k), 1 radiator (110k), 1 broken alternator (95k), 1 cracked manifold catalytic housing (around 60k, except for the sound, it drives great). I make many long trip per year now so I decided to get another car and retired the Civic ~125k. Someday I'll fix it up properly which would cost around 1k to 2k. The Civic is really fun to drive, the interior is so simple which I really like. The engine can high rev and goes no where fast which is fun and funny to me. This car was very reliable and have never left me stranded.

Simplicity of the interior. Non offensive exterior to law enforcement. Simple control and designs. Firm steering and pedals

Love This car
By john

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 miles it runs good Gets good gas mileage around 36 mpg.

fun to drive

Cd player is behind cup holders

My favorite car ever
By Civicpride

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car ever. I have almost 150,000 miles on it, taught my kid to drive it (hence, all the dings) and other than replacing the catalytic converter I have only done scheduled maintenance. Runs like a top. I was too tall to get the EX and maybe that's a good thing.

Runs like a top. Old Blue still looks pretty sharp after a good wash job. Pretty big trunk. Nice head room in back.

A better radio and just a little more power.