1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Even in 2011, still a great car.
By md1032 on 11/23/11 19:56 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At this point I am passing my 1998 Civic with 218k miles to my younger sibling since I bought a newer Japanese car. This car has been really good to us. We owned a '96 LX sedan, but that was totaled by a woman, so we bought a '97 LX sedan, which was also totaled by a woman some years later. That brings us to our current Civic, a '98 DX, I've put about 80k on it. All are 5-speeds and I can tell you that all three have basically driven identically. If you're looking for a really cheap car that gets decent mileage, you can get one of these for next to nothing and you probably won't regret it at all. It's a great car, and very reliable (assuming you avoid the auto tranny...it's a Honda).

Amazingly reliable
By Dean on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My Civic is the Australian GLi model. She had made it to 185,000 km before a complete moron took it out in an accident. 60 kph front on and I got out with a scratch to the knee. In the three years she was with me, I had not one breakdown or a time that she didn't start. I did many road trips, in hot Australian Summers, anywhere up to 10,000 km a trip. I've often got fuel usage down to 5.5 L per 100 km as well, highway. I'll miss her, and will likely end up buying another Civic. :(

So great, someone else took it from me!
By M on 03/19/09 15:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I had this car since it was brand new. I drove it myself for +6 years and I had ZERO problems with it, in it's 10th year it ran better then most cars that are less than 5 years old. The one negative - people kept trying to break into it (I never kept anything in my car) and finally, dec 08' someone successfully stole it and was written off. This problem is typical of older Hondas. This car was great but it's a hot car for theft (and is apparently really easy to steal) and this is what makes me hesitant to return to a Honda since dealing with getting windows fixed etc. from thieves turns into a big pain. :(

Best car for the money
By mark v. on 02/25/06 18:00 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Though the 1.6 litre engine is not as good as the newer 35 m.p.g. civics it still delivers a good 25-30 m.p.g. While maintaning enough power to deliver high altitude performance at even 15000 feet above sea level. That said however stay away from cheaper low grade corn based alchohol fuels they can cut fuel efficiency by one-third so you refuel more often and you will spend more hard earned $ in the long run.

Reliable but could improve
By CivicOwner on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 4 yrs. old, 21kmi, one owner. Very good car for driving around town--especially since it is an automatic, not that great on the highway. The base model is really basic, wish it had some more features (power locks, cruise control, ABS, A/C). Maintenance-free so far, 20 months and 27 kmiles later. Shift program problem: when accelerating after slowing down to about 20mph it shifts a lower gear and revvs the engine like crazy, sending shocks through the drivetrain. The windshield wipers have a weird pattern, leaving big portions un-wiped. Passenger-side wiper needs to grow to driver-side wiper size.

I love my Civic!
By Shonda on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

The Honda Civic was my very first car. When I first bought it, it had been a demo car and had a little over four thousand miles on it. For four years I drove it nearly eight hundred miles to and from college. It never let me down. If any parents are interested in buying their child a reliable car, the Honda Civic is the one.

Don't Understand Why All the Praise
By vabiker on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I don't have too many positive things to say about this car. I bought the car to get a reliable, high mileage, AT car. The car has always gotten low mileage (25/31) in mixed driving. Never higher than 32mpg in 100% Interstate travel. The trunklid is a guillotine despite the installation of a special spoiler-supporting trunklid torsion element. The exterior paint is eggshell fragile. Alternator was warranty replaced at 10K miles. The '92 Saturn SL I owned for 10yrs. was a better car than this one. We bought the Honda for it's glowing reputation, and based on my experience, I have to wonder how it was ever acquired...

Workhorse
By Jim S. on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 other Honda's and needed a workhorse to take care of 4 kids and a hockey coach. I bought the 'demo' with 8000 miles on it already back in 10/98. It has been a very dependable car. I've done the recommended maintenance on the vehicle and had the timing belt replaced when it hit 80K, (that was based on previous experience and manual recommendation). I liked the style of it and it was designed well and comfortable as well as fun to drive..just ask my kids!!

Good Basic Car
By acroduster on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for a 124 mile commute per day and it has served well. I got a very base model, but I'm still impressed. Off the line it's not great, but that's the price you pay for the gas mileage. Good stock stereo.