1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba on 10/10/12 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it. I found a nice one-owner with 124K. After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system. That's it. Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs. That's all I've had to touch. Everything works. I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age. It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood. And I average 35 mpg.

Even in 2011, still a great car.
By md1032 on 11/23/11 19:56 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At this point I am passing my 1998 Civic with 218k miles to my younger sibling since I bought a newer Japanese car. This car has been really good to us. We owned a '96 LX sedan, but that was totaled by a woman, so we bought a '97 LX sedan, which was also totaled by a woman some years later. That brings us to our current Civic, a '98 DX, I've put about 80k on it. All are 5-speeds and I can tell you that all three have basically driven identically. If you're looking for a really cheap car that gets decent mileage, you can get one of these for next to nothing and you probably won't regret it at all. It's a great car, and very reliable (assuming you avoid the auto tranny...it's a Honda).

good car
By swanny4 on 04/13/11 23:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic 6 years ago on a junk title. It has always started for me and never let me down. It is so faithful that I am even bored with it! What a good car. Nothing exciting, just faithful.

Amazingly reliable
By Dean on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My Civic is the Australian GLi model. She had made it to 185,000 km before a complete moron took it out in an accident. 60 kph front on and I got out with a scratch to the knee. In the three years she was with me, I had not one breakdown or a time that she didn't start. I did many road trips, in hot Australian Summers, anywhere up to 10,000 km a trip. I've often got fuel usage down to 5.5 L per 100 km as well, highway. I'll miss her, and will likely end up buying another Civic. :(

Reliable
By Bob on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 144K miles on it, from someone who commuted 140 miles a day. It now has 226K miles. I am conscientious about recommended maintenance, and of course brakes and exhaust have been replaced. Other than that the ONLY repairs have been a squealing idler pulley, and the ignition switch replaced under a recall. Still rides and handles well, looks good, no rattles.

The little engine that could
By Michael on 05/25/10 00:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got it brand new at 12 miles, around the 7th yr / 70,000 parts start to break down, 2 oxygen sensors (1st around 73k, 2nd around 110k), 2 drive shafts (around 80k), 1 radiator (110k), 1 broken alternator (95k), 1 cracked manifold catalytic housing (around 60k, except for the sound, it drives great). I make many long trip per year now so I decided to get another car and retired the Civic ~125k. Someday I'll fix it up properly which would cost around 1k to 2k. The Civic is really fun to drive, the interior is so simple which I really like. The engine can high rev and goes no where fast which is fun and funny to me. This car was very reliable and have never left me stranded.

Love This car
By john on 04/16/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 miles it runs good Gets good gas mileage around 36 mpg.

Just hit 150,000 miles.
By Lianger on 03/22/10 07:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I got my 98 civic 4dr ex my junior year of high school. I'm still driving after 11 years. I just hit 150,000 miles with all the commuting back and forth to work and back. It's about a 50 mile commute round trip. This is my first car and it's going to be sad when I have to let him. A lot of good memories. No major issue and very reliable car. I have gone through about 4 or 5 sets of tires, 3 brakes and rotors, 2 exhaust pipes, replaced 1 turn signal light bulb, Timing belt, water pump, 2 CV boots (city has a lot of pot holes), and a turn up. The worst thing that happen was a crack gasket which cause the antifreeze to leak.

good little car
By tlt858 on 02/24/10 19:46 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Good little car. I've been driving this car for more than 5 years, and have had very little go wrong with it. Great gas mileage, good pep, really comfortable. My car has over 200K miles on it, and it is still going strong.

My favorite car ever
By Civicpride on 01/18/10 13:26 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car ever. I have almost 150,000 miles on it, taught my kid to drive it (hence, all the dings) and other than replacing the catalytic converter I have only done scheduled maintenance. Runs like a top. I was too tall to get the EX and maybe that's a good thing.