Used 1998 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

great little car
By andy birmingham

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

my son and i purchased this car in 09. he was a junior in high school, now he is a senior at unniversity of ar, started out at 28,000 miles now has 112,000 miles. we have replaced radiator, 2 water pumps , 2 timing belts , head gasket job, thermo stat , brake pads, right front door window regulator , new, interior, new hubcaps and $200,00 econo paint.................. the honda is just like new and we sure enjoy it........................ my son charlie likes it and loves the 35 mpg .............. he stated that he would drive it another 7 years and then apply for antique plates................. one of the best vehicles ever built . sincerely, andy birmingham

I am going to be that guy....
By dxer1105

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car is reliable but.... I just strongly dislike it. I run into many small repairs on this cheaply built car. I hate manual windows. Defrosters are terrible. The car shakes if you drive faster than 65 mph. I had it for 18k from 102 to 120k. Iam about to sell it. Although, I only paid $1,500 for it.

Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it. I found a nice one-owner with 124K. After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system. That's it. Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs. That's all I've had to touch. Everything works. I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age. It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood. And I average 35 mpg.

Efficiency in all areas, not just mileage.

Tranny needs another gear.

Even in 2011, still a great car.
By md1032

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At this point I am passing my 1998 Civic with 218k miles to my younger sibling since I bought a newer Japanese car. This car has been really good to us. We owned a '96 LX sedan, but that was totaled by a woman, so we bought a '97 LX sedan, which was also totaled by a woman some years later. That brings us to our current Civic, a '98 DX, I've put about 80k on it. All are 5-speeds and I can tell you that all three have basically driven identically. If you're looking for a really cheap car that gets decent mileage, you can get one of these for next to nothing and you probably won't regret it at all. It's a great car, and very reliable (assuming you avoid the auto tranny...it's a Honda).

This thing, in its prime, regularly cranked out 40 MPG around town, on the highway...wherever. Now the engine is a little worn out, but I still rarely see a single tank below 35 MPG. These cars are a lot of fun to drive around town. The acceleration is decent if you really rev it up, although still pitiful under normal circumstances. The clutch is extremely light and barely takes any effort to push in and operate compared to every other car I've ever driven. Transmission is buttery-smooth even at 218k. The HVAC controls are great. You can run the defrost with recirc on and A/C off, unlike every other car ever made. Drives great in the snow, too. You really have great control.

This car would not be my first choice for a long road trip at any reasonable speed. At 75 MPH, the engine is screaming along at 3500+ RPM. The noise can be annoying at times (granted I've been in noisier cars that were 7 years newer). It also isn't very stable in windy conditions and gets knocked around like the lightweight car it is.

good car
By swanny4

1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic 6 years ago on a junk title. It has always started for me and never let me down. It is so faithful that I am even bored with it! What a good car. Nothing exciting, just faithful.

reliability is just incredible.

paint is junk.