1998 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Built to last
By frank0001 on 09/03/12 14:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought car in 4/2001 at Honda dealer w 100k warrantee for $13k. Had 36000 miles on odometer. 11 years and 190k miles later, still runs great: 30mpg, doesn't burn oil, fun to drive, no rust on body. Usual maintenance: 2 timing belts with water pump, new exhaust and muffler. Only glitch-needed new catalytic converter, 02 sensors, and new distributer in 2011. Bought cat and sensors online at Majestic Honda and saved $$$$. Just change oil often and this car will run forever.

Awesome Car
By NPW on 02/04/10 06:26 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Had no major issues. Had to replace the AC compressor at about 130K. It was a great drive. This was my first new car. I used it till someone else decided that they needed it more than I did and stole it!

Disappointment!
By Dan on 06/28/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought my automatic 98 civic hatchback in '99 because they had great reviews in terms of reliability. It was fun to drive and got great mileage. Looked good and was small and nimble. I did not wash often enough, but body held up well. I drove about 13000 miles/yr. Lousy stereo. My AC compressor and transmission both died when it was 5 yrs old. The interior felt cheap, rattled, and wore out quickly. Tail lights leaked water and got inside the spare tire area. My manifold cracked after 6 years and had to be replaced. Driver side manual window crank broke after 6 years. Engine lacked power, uphills it dogged.

Still Running Great
By justmartha on 06/06/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This was my 2nd Civic hatchback and I'm sorry they quit making them. I put 165,000 miles on the 1990 one before I sold it. The '98 car had a few design issues that made me love it a little less than the older one but has been more reliable and still gets >40 mpg on a road trip at speeds of 65-70 mph. My biggest complaints have been road noise and a little less cargo space, plus lack of an interior hatch release convenient for the driver. The biggest plus? Great gas mileage and total reliability!

Ten years and still good
By steevo on 08/05/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 1998 and am surprised at how well it has stood up. Things I've replaced are the timing beltx2, starter, front brake pads (rear drums are original!), water pump, muffler and fluids. Stuff I would expect to replace on a ten year old car. It is just a reliable car that is a bit underpowered but is easy on fuel. I prefer the styling of the hatch and wish the newest hatch would come to north America. The hatch fits a 36" CRT TV.

Fun, Reliable, and Efficient
By David on 04/22/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful car! I got my civic as a hand-me-down. It was my first car and will be my only car for some time. Fuel economy is superb for such a sporty compact. The hatchback is a great model due to its transportation qualities. The D17Y engine isn't exactly the best in it's class, but Honda did put enough work into making it rev extremely high. Put your foot to the floor on a long stretch of road and the automatic transmission down shifts and launches you forward. The air conditioning isn't the best, however, if it is left on long enough at high power it WILL cool the entire car down. My only complaint is that if you drive the car at the top end, fuel economy suffers quite a bit.

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer on 03/08/07 11:59 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

Love it!
By Susan on 07/03/06 11:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I love this car so much that I've kept it for 8 years! I'll probably have to get a new car soon, because of space issues in the back seat (it's too difficult for elderly parents to get into the back seat!)

My 1998 Honda totaled.
By David J. Measer on 10/10/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

In Sept. 2005 a van ran a red light into the passenger door of my Honda. I had 44000 miles on it and consistently got between 30 and 34 miles per gallon. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement

Becca's Civic
By Rebecca on 07/29/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I have had many cars including an Accord. This is the best car by far than any other.