Used 1998 Honda Civic HX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love My Honda XD
By jamie_taylor

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I love my little red Honda! It currently has 199,602 miles on it, I have had it for about 3 years now and I have never had a car that has has this much fuel economy and power and still runs like new at 200k miles! I have done some minor modifications on this car, and now have about 55+mpg highway and about 45+city. All I did was put in performance spark plugs, wires and distributor, run full synthetic oil, and cold air intake with a k&n Filter (It cost me all of about 100 bucks)! I was always sceptical of 'Ricers' (this car was a gift from my fiance) and I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! I love my Honda :) It has been nothing but an exceptional vehicle, I am planning on making it last to 400k miles..

Favorite Features

The Fuel Economy is amazing ( A new hybrid cannot even compare)! It never gives me too many problems! It is low cost for maintenance (even if the parts are a pain to find) It is an amazing piece of machinery, Honda certainly knew what to do when making this car. When will the competition be able to compete?! I have been a mechanic all of my life and I am constantly amazed by my Little Red Honda!!

Suggested Improvements

None, save for MAKE THEM AGAIN!! No changes, this same car, brand new so I can have a new to break in so it will last even longer than the one I already have! Thank you Honda!!!

Very Reliable Economical Transportation
By exhaust_fan

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about six years and have only done one repair. Replaced the windshield wiper motor. Everything else has been maintenance. I get excellent gas mileage. 34-44. Great commuter car

Favorite Features

Reliability Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more bolster in the seats

Most Reliable Car Ever Made!!!
By INVNTDTHWHL

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Honda Civic HX brand new and have been driving it ever since. I have taken moderate care of it over the years and it doesn't matter. It just keeps going strong. Honda must have made these cars for people like me who wait a few extra thousand miles to change their oil and rarely look under the hood. I call my Honda "The Mule" because you can beat the hell out of it and it will get you to work the next day no matter what. Never had a problem and will surely buy a Honda the next time around.

Favorite Features

Simplicity. No bells and whistles. Power windows, door locks, steering, mirrors, etc. and cold AC and nothing else. Keeping it simple kept this car going without a hickup for the last 11 years.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure Honda has come up with some new stuff for the Civic since 98 but I didn't miss anything.

Another Great Honda
By risingsn

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new because of the fuel economy & the fact that it was a Honda (my 8th). The first few years I was in sales & on the road all the time, I cruised @ about 85mph & got 37-38 mpg. Currently my wife commutes in this car 4 miles ea. way, in town & gets 32 mpg. Last week we drove 4 hrs (to Sea World & back) @70 mph & got 39 mpg. Other than normal maintenance I have only had to replace the 'B' pipe & the blower fan. The A/C is good (Florida), the manual trans is flawless. There can be road noise if your tires become unevenly worn. Currently the car has 165K mile & is still a great car. If you can find one, buy it!

Favorite Features

All of the above

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, but who buys a car for cup holders!

My black baby
By chronodev87

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

Favorite Features

1) The shape is classy and cool, especially in black with tasteful tinting. 2) The mileage of course. 3) It feels very well-built. There are a few rattles, but nothing major. 4) The Vtec-E technology is pretty clever (if not sporty). 5) The alloys are a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.