Used 1998 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Car
By joegti10

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

My sister bought it a few years old with very low miles and I picked it up off of her 7 years ago with 100K. Its still going strong at 201K with regular 3k oil changes. This is a northeast car where it battles large blizzards, oppressive heat and salt. Here's what has failed and replaced in the last 100k...it was pretty much flawless for the first 100k. I beat on it a bit, lol. Exhaust system (still has orig manifold), distributor cap, radiator, rear swing arm, front brakes a few times, rear brake line, drivers side power window motor, headliner issues, few sets of tires, relay issue with blinker, rear 02 sensor, clearcoat starting to peel. Otherwise it's a great car...

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip. I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps. To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new. I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great, The seats are comfy I am 5'11/240. I never really sat in the back. But friends haev said its comfy with alot of leg room. Great long distance car. I took this car from Los Angeles to Vancouver Canada that was a 2 week vacation. To vegas like 5 times. To Big bear 3 times to go snowboarding. Been to TJ ( mexico) and to Az. So all in all you cant beat a car this Honda did a swell job and gotten better since then. My way of thinking even back then 1998 was if anything breaks. Get after market parts to replace it and thats what I have done. Honda have done me well and I will continue to support them. Next venture I am looking at ( Honda Fit 2012).

Suggested Improvements

None to think of. On my part at the time in 1998 I wish I got the ex model. But then again my Dx has been truely a nice car to have own has my first car. I will always keep the car. Even when I get a new car honda of course. My girlfriend wants to learn how to drive a stick. So I am gonna teach on the civic. The new 2012 accord coupe WOW the design looks so nice to look at. Honda people stay strong and true. Sad to say American cars dont hold a candle to Honda. Times change so we have to see what they have for the Hondas this days. Test drive all cars that you can afford and make the best choice. ZOOM ZOOM

My Best Friend
By ALEX

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I've bought my civic last year when it had 77K miles. So far I have driven 10K miles and no problems at all. Although the car is not flashy or fast, it is very reliable and can take your from point A to point B with low gas usage. The handling is very nice and this car will look very nice with some sporty rims or a spoiler. I am planning on keeping it until I finish college, and then buying a newer civic! :)

Favorite Features

Reliable and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is dull.

The Best Little Honda ever
By Rachael

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I ran my little red 98 Honda civic dx into the ground. I was hoping it would last me until I graduated college but after almost 9 years it's time had come...a piston broke in the engine which would have been twice as much as the car. She had a long run. She went through 5 break ins, 5 stolen radios, 2 mufflers and exhaust systems, 2 windshield replacements, 2 window cranks, 2 sideview mirrors, a starter, sparkplugs and 4 accidents one being with a 10-point buck at 70 mph. Although she shook when I got her to 80, she rode right along at 120. Although the interior and exterior wasn't anything fancy, she ran long and hard through thick and thin. RIP little Honda...best car ever.

Favorite Features

Engine ran 150,000 miles + through everything and the car parts are completely inexpensive. Fantastic gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality parts.

My Sweet Honda
By courtneyjilll

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This is the only car I have ever owned, and until I can save up to buy a new one with cash, it will be. This car had 72 miles on it when I got it 11 years ago, and has 236,000 today. Other than replacing the exhaust manifold and the blower motor on the air conditioner,it has only required regular maintenance. It gets good gas mileage, around 350 miles a tank. It is super reliable, and I don't think that I will ever love a car as much. If it breaks down tomorrow, it has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders. Anything larger than a can drink is liable to fall out when you make a turn.