Used 1998 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
Dependable/Reliable Car
By lillykayda

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in April 1998. I've owned this car for almost 14 years. I get regular oil changes. The car now has > 208,000 miles and it still runs great. It still has the original clutch and usually gets 35 mpg and have gotten over 38 mpg at times. I've had to replace the battery twice, front brakes once & muffler once. I will be needing new brake pads on the front and rear soon though. Last year the driver side window got off track and had to be taken apart to fix. The radio volume adjuster doesn't work right. The roof interior where the moonroof is worn. There are some usual exterior flaws. All in all, I've definitely got my money worth. Hoping to get this good with next vehicle.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, low cost to own

Suggested Improvements

I would be satisfied with any car that does as well as this one has for me. No improvement required.

Great Car
By joegti10

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

My sister bought it a few years old with very low miles and I picked it up off of her 7 years ago with 100K. Its still going strong at 201K with regular 3k oil changes. This is a northeast car where it battles large blizzards, oppressive heat and salt. Here's what has failed and replaced in the last 100k...it was pretty much flawless for the first 100k. I beat on it a bit, lol. Exhaust system (still has orig manifold), distributor cap, radiator, rear swing arm, front brakes a few times, rear brake line, drivers side power window motor, headliner issues, few sets of tires, relay issue with blinker, rear 02 sensor, clearcoat starting to peel. Otherwise it's a great car...

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip. I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps. To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new. I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great, The seats are comfy I am 5'11/240. I never really sat in the back. But friends haev said its comfy with alot of leg room. Great long distance car. I took this car from Los Angeles to Vancouver Canada that was a 2 week vacation. To vegas like 5 times. To Big bear 3 times to go snowboarding. Been to TJ ( mexico) and to Az. So all in all you cant beat a car this Honda did a swell job and gotten better since then. My way of thinking even back then 1998 was if anything breaks. Get after market parts to replace it and thats what I have done. Honda have done me well and I will continue to support them. Next venture I am looking at ( Honda Fit 2012).

Suggested Improvements

None to think of. On my part at the time in 1998 I wish I got the ex model. But then again my Dx has been truely a nice car to have own has my first car. I will always keep the car. Even when I get a new car honda of course. My girlfriend wants to learn how to drive a stick. So I am gonna teach on the civic. The new 2012 accord coupe WOW the design looks so nice to look at. Honda people stay strong and true. Sad to say American cars dont hold a candle to Honda. Times change so we have to see what they have for the Hondas this days. Test drive all cars that you can afford and make the best choice. ZOOM ZOOM

Love this Car!!!
By cobraboy1

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this little coupe! I bought it when I was unemployed for a year and needed something to drive that would be economical, inexpensive, and fuel effeciency. It has done all of things and more. It's comfortable, handles well, and is fun to drive. I bought my 1998 Civic with 95k miles, it now has 115k after 10months of absolutely flawless ownership. Just maintence costs and gas. I get 34mpg in mixed driving and 38mpg highway. cheap alternative no more, I'm a civic believer.

Favorite Features

Love the power, handling, and most of all the mpg's!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing about this car that I'm not a big fan of is the way the wind pushes it around on the highway, but to solve that would mean more weight. So I think that I can live with it.

1998 Honda Civic
By arcticman1

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have not been very happy with this car. From the paint peeling to the door handles breaking and wiper motors not working. Now at 155k, a deep knock in the engine (most likely a rod) I'm done with Honda!