1998 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car
By joegti10 on 08/13/12 21:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

My sister bought it a few years old with very low miles and I picked it up off of her 7 years ago with 100K. Its still going strong at 201K with regular 3k oil changes. This is a northeast car where it battles large blizzards, oppressive heat and salt. Here's what has failed and replaced in the last 100k...it was pretty much flawless for the first 100k. I beat on it a bit, lol. Exhaust system (still has orig manifold), distributor cap, radiator, rear swing arm, front brakes a few times, rear brake line, drivers side power window motor, headliner issues, few sets of tires, relay issue with blinker, rear 02 sensor, clearcoat starting to peel. Otherwise it's a great car...

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2 on 03/19/12 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip. I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps. To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new. I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Dependable/Reliable Car
By lillykayda on 02/17/12 11:58 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in April 1998. I've owned this car for almost 14 years. I get regular oil changes. The car now has > 208,000 miles and it still runs great. It still has the original clutch and usually gets 35 mpg and have gotten over 38 mpg at times. I've had to replace the battery twice, front brakes once & muffler once. I will be needing new brake pads on the front and rear soon though. Last year the driver side window got off track and had to be taken apart to fix. The radio volume adjuster doesn't work right. The roof interior where the moonroof is worn. There are some usual exterior flaws. All in all, I've definitely got my money worth. Hoping to get this good with next vehicle.

1998 Honda Civic
By arcticman1 on 04/12/11 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I have not been very happy with this car. From the paint peeling to the door handles breaking and wiper motors not working. Now at 155k, a deep knock in the engine (most likely a rod) I'm done with Honda!

Love this Car!!!
By cobraboy1 on 04/11/11 22:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this little coupe! I bought it when I was unemployed for a year and needed something to drive that would be economical, inexpensive, and fuel effeciency. It has done all of things and more. It's comfortable, handles well, and is fun to drive. I bought my 1998 Civic with 95k miles, it now has 115k after 10months of absolutely flawless ownership. Just maintence costs and gas. I get 34mpg in mixed driving and 38mpg highway. cheap alternative no more, I'm a civic believer.

Love My Honda XD
By jamie_taylor on 03/23/11 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I love my little red Honda! It currently has 199,602 miles on it, I have had it for about 3 years now and I have never had a car that has has this much fuel economy and power and still runs like new at 200k miles! I have done some minor modifications on this car, and now have about 55+mpg highway and about 45+city. All I did was put in performance spark plugs, wires and distributor, run full synthetic oil, and cold air intake with a k&n Filter (It cost me all of about 100 bucks)! I was always sceptical of 'Ricers' (this car was a gift from my fiance) and I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! I love my Honda :) It has been nothing but an exceptional vehicle, I am planning on making it last to 400k miles..

Very Reliable Economical Transportation
By exhaust_fan on 12/17/10 19:12 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about six years and have only done one repair. Replaced the windshield wiper motor. Everything else has been maintenance. I get excellent gas mileage. 34-44. Great commuter car

Love My Car
By smiley2006 on 08/14/10 06:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got my car over three years ago and it runs great. I have had to only fix minor things and thats usually my fault. I had to replace a door handle from a bad storm a few years ago (I just kept pulling). My car is great its fast, cute and great with gas. I am only getting rid of my car to get a 4 wheel drive SUV also going to be a Honda. I changed my family from Chevy lovers to Honda with my car.

Toyota Man Now a Honda Man!
By So far, SO damn good on 08/09/10 22:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with somewhere around 158,000 miles on it. I have had the car for 20 months and it has run like a champ since I have had it. I know these cars run a long time so I decided to take the plunge and redo a whole new suspension system on the car for over 1000+$. Also, I am even considering having it repainted because, again, I know that historically speaking, it should run for a long time and will be worth the investment. Since I have owned the car, I have only had one issue with the car which was a couple days where it was over heating. The only reason it was over heating was because the coolant was bone dry. This was my fault though for neglecting this, cost me 10$ for coolant

98 Honda Civic
By Jess on 07/12/10 18:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I recently sold this car for a Honda CR-V but I owned her for 8 1/2 years and sold her with 178k and had very little issues other then Normal R&M. I always did the recommend maintenance and changed the oil every 3k.