1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba on 10/10/12 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it. I found a nice one-owner with 124K. After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system. That's it. Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs. That's all I've had to touch. Everything works. I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age. It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood. And I average 35 mpg.

The little engine that could
By Michael on 05/25/10 00:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Got it brand new at 12 miles, around the 7th yr / 70,000 parts start to break down, 2 oxygen sensors (1st around 73k, 2nd around 110k), 2 drive shafts (around 80k), 1 radiator (110k), 1 broken alternator (95k), 1 cracked manifold catalytic housing (around 60k, except for the sound, it drives great). I make many long trip per year now so I decided to get another car and retired the Civic ~125k. Someday I'll fix it up properly which would cost around 1k to 2k. The Civic is really fun to drive, the interior is so simple which I really like. The engine can high rev and goes no where fast which is fun and funny to me. This car was very reliable and have never left me stranded.

Love This car
By john on 04/16/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 miles it runs good Gets good gas mileage around 36 mpg.

My favorite car ever
By Civicpride on 01/18/10 13:26 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car ever. I have almost 150,000 miles on it, taught my kid to drive it (hence, all the dings) and other than replacing the catalytic converter I have only done scheduled maintenance. Runs like a top. I was too tall to get the EX and maybe that's a good thing.

Satisfied
By Rusty on 01/07/10 11:26 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my high school son six years ago with 63000 miles. He's put on another 119000 hard miles on it. During most of this time the only thing required was regular maintenance (fluids, filters, plugs, belts, blades and hoses). Did replace radiator last year(an easy self-install for $100). Just last month was first major problem - oil pump died and engine fried. Replaced it with a used moter that had 79K and while everything was apart replaced the clutch, water pump, belts and she's ready for the road again. I guess the A/C, CV joints and power windows are eventually due to fail, but so far so good.

Good solid car, but unexpected repairs
By JAprill on 10/03/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Honda in April of 2004 with 106,000 miles on it. It drove great and looked great. It lasted me through two years of high school and four years of college. After about 150,000 miles, the repairs started getting more expensive and frequent. The exhaust system was a major problem- - the entire system needed to be replaced. A check engine light came on at 175,000 miles and after many diagnostic tests it was found that the computer was fried-- costing around 1200. Overall good car. Big problems to look out for: electrical and exhaust.

Best economy car
By ed on 03/20/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I leased this car in 1998 and bought it out in 2002. I have never had it in the shop for a major repair. I have been able to do all routine work myself and I've found it to be an easy vehicle to work on. I have 243000 miles (391071 kms) and it's still going strong. My goal is 310,000 miles (500,000) kms.

Honda Civic LX 1998
By Deeblacke on 02/20/09 07:02 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when it had 125K miles and i have had for 3 yrs. Now it has 195,000 and still going strong. The only major breakdown i had was with the clutch but other than that it's a good car. I intend to drive it until it has 400K

Amazing little car
By Ed on 01/27/09 21:50 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic new in 1998 and kept it for nearly 11 years. In that time I had to make only two unscheduled repairs: first to replace the muffler and then the power window regulator. Overall it's been a great car - reliable, fuel efficient, and pretty fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission.

Great Car
By Kris on 01/23/08 18:32 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

My family has had this car for a while. My older brother bought it, he was the 2nd owner. Then my father bought it. After 3 or 4 years, of driving it, it now has just rolled past 173,000 miles. This is my first car. The only problems we have had with it is the AC stopped before we even got it. It still runs like new.