Used 1998 Honda Civic LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Does it even have a check engine light?
By funk53daba

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I really don't know, now that I think about it. I found a nice one-owner with 124K. After two years it has 175K and the only thing that has not been routine maintenance has been some rust thru the exhaust system. That's it. Brakes/tires, fluids, filters, and spark plugs. That's all I've had to touch. Everything works. I've owned a lot of high mileage cars b/c I prefer them for various reasons but this one acts half it's age. It also beasted thru the Appalachian mountains loaded with myself and about 250lbs of military gear, so don't underestimate the power under the hood. And I average 35 mpg.

Favorite Features

Efficiency in all areas, not just mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny needs another gear.

Love This car
By john

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 miles it runs good Gets good gas mileage around 36 mpg.

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Cd player is behind cup holders

The little engine that could
By Michael

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Got it brand new at 12 miles, around the 7th yr / 70,000 parts start to break down, 2 oxygen sensors (1st around 73k, 2nd around 110k), 2 drive shafts (around 80k), 1 radiator (110k), 1 broken alternator (95k), 1 cracked manifold catalytic housing (around 60k, except for the sound, it drives great). I make many long trip per year now so I decided to get another car and retired the Civic ~125k. Someday I'll fix it up properly which would cost around 1k to 2k. The Civic is really fun to drive, the interior is so simple which I really like. The engine can high rev and goes no where fast which is fun and funny to me. This car was very reliable and have never left me stranded.

Favorite Features

Simplicity of the interior. Non offensive exterior to law enforcement. Simple control and designs. Firm steering and pedals

Satisfied
By Rusty

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my high school son six years ago with 63000 miles. He's put on another 119000 hard miles on it. During most of this time the only thing required was regular maintenance (fluids, filters, plugs, belts, blades and hoses). Did replace radiator last year(an easy self-install for $100). Just last month was first major problem - oil pump died and engine fried. Replaced it with a used moter that had 79K and while everything was apart replaced the clutch, water pump, belts and she's ready for the road again. I guess the A/C, CV joints and power windows are eventually due to fail, but so far so good.

Favorite Features

Obviously the reliability of the car has been absolutely phenomenal, always 30 to 35 mpg's and safe, sporty handling to boot (very smooth 5-spd tranny). Almost the same experience with a 1991 Accord. Honda built some outstanding cars in the 90's.

Suggested Improvements

My only beef with this car has been the quality of paint - too much fading and wearing - and the cheap, sun glazed plastic headlamp covers. Guess south Texas summers are rough on these things.

My favorite car ever
By Civicpride

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This is the best car ever. I have almost 150,000 miles on it, taught my kid to drive it (hence, all the dings) and other than replacing the catalytic converter I have only done scheduled maintenance. Runs like a top. I was too tall to get the EX and maybe that's a good thing.

Favorite Features

Runs like a top. Old Blue still looks pretty sharp after a good wash job. Pretty big trunk. Nice head room in back.

Suggested Improvements

A better radio and just a little more power.