Used 1998 Honda Civic EX Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Dependable/Reliable Car
By lillykayda

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in April 1998. I've owned this car for almost 14 years. I get regular oil changes. The car now has > 208,000 miles and it still runs great. It still has the original clutch and usually gets 35 mpg and have gotten over 38 mpg at times. I've had to replace the battery twice, front brakes once & muffler once. I will be needing new brake pads on the front and rear soon though. Last year the driver side window got off track and had to be taken apart to fix. The radio volume adjuster doesn't work right. The roof interior where the moonroof is worn. There are some usual exterior flaws. All in all, I've definitely got my money worth. Hoping to get this good with next vehicle.

Gas mileage, reliability, low cost to own

I would be satisfied with any car that does as well as this one has for me. No improvement required.

1998 Honda Civic
By arcticman1

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have not been very happy with this car. From the paint peeling to the door handles breaking and wiper motors not working. Now at 155k, a deep knock in the engine (most likely a rod) I'm done with Honda!

Love this Car!!!
By cobraboy1

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this little coupe! I bought it when I was unemployed for a year and needed something to drive that would be economical, inexpensive, and fuel effeciency. It has done all of things and more. It's comfortable, handles well, and is fun to drive. I bought my 1998 Civic with 95k miles, it now has 115k after 10months of absolutely flawless ownership. Just maintence costs and gas. I get 34mpg in mixed driving and 38mpg highway.
cheap alternative no more, I'm a civic believer.

Love the power, handling, and most of all the mpg's!

The only thing about this car that I'm not a big fan of is the way the wind pushes it around on the highway, but to solve that would mean more weight. So I think that I can live with it.

Love My Car
By smiley2006

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I got my car over three years ago and it runs great. I have had to only fix minor things and thats usually my fault. I had to replace a door handle from a bad storm a few years ago (I just kept pulling). My car is great its fast, cute and great with gas. I am only getting rid of my car to get a 4 wheel drive SUV also going to be a Honda. I changed my family from Chevy lovers to Honda with my car.

Too many favorites to pick one

the only thing I don't like is my really tall friends cannot ride in the back comfortably.

Toyota Man Now a Honda Man!
By So far, SO damn good

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with somewhere around 158,000 miles on it. I have had the car for 20 months and it has run like a champ since I have had it. I know these cars run a long time so I decided to take the plunge and redo a whole new suspension system on the car for over 1000+$. Also, I am even considering having it repainted because, again, I know that historically speaking, it should run for a long time and will be worth the investment. Since I have owned the car, I have only had one issue with the car which was a couple days where it was over heating. The only reason it was over heating was because the coolant was bone dry. This was my fault though for neglecting this, cost me 10$ for coolant

Moon Roof would be the feature I like best that CAME with the car. my favorite feature that is on the car that i installed is the sweet custom rims that I installed myself upon purchase, they just make the car look sweet

The civic (especially the 2 Door Ex Vtek and the SI) should come an option to buy those models with more horsepower than 113 Hp for a Vtek. I think a Civic should have an option like the Accord to upgrade to a v-6 that has more horsepower. Also, 113 is pretty damn low for a car, especially for a Vt