1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Built to last
By frank0001 on 09/03/12 14:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought car in 4/2001 at Honda dealer w 100k warrantee for $13k. Had 36000 miles on odometer. 11 years and 190k miles later, still runs great: 30mpg, doesn't burn oil, fun to drive, no rust on body. Usual maintenance: 2 timing belts with water pump, new exhaust and muffler. Only glitch-needed new catalytic converter, 02 sensors, and new distributer in 2011. Bought cat and sensors online at Majestic Honda and saved $$$$. Just change oil often and this car will run forever.

Disappointment!
By Dan on 06/28/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought my automatic 98 civic hatchback in '99 because they had great reviews in terms of reliability. It was fun to drive and got great mileage. Looked good and was small and nimble. I did not wash often enough, but body held up well. I drove about 13000 miles/yr. Lousy stereo. My AC compressor and transmission both died when it was 5 yrs old. The interior felt cheap, rattled, and wore out quickly. Tail lights leaked water and got inside the spare tire area. My manifold cracked after 6 years and had to be replaced. Driver side manual window crank broke after 6 years. Engine lacked power, uphills it dogged.

Still Running Great
By justmartha on 06/06/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

This was my 2nd Civic hatchback and I'm sorry they quit making them. I put 165,000 miles on the 1990 one before I sold it. The '98 car had a few design issues that made me love it a little less than the older one but has been more reliable and still gets >40 mpg on a road trip at speeds of 65-70 mph. My biggest complaints have been road noise and a little less cargo space, plus lack of an interior hatch release convenient for the driver. The biggest plus? Great gas mileage and total reliability!

DX Hatchback
By keotypes on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I purchase this car as a daily driver. It drives great and for such a small car, the ride is pretty good. I like to drive pretty hard and so far the car has taken everything I've thrown at it with aplomb. It also gets great gas mileage, though at the expense of some performance. Acceleration is only average (especially on hills) and I find myself having to hold onto a gear during acceleration because the gears are so widely spaced, when I shift the rpms drop way out of the powerband. Overall the car drives great, and if Honda's reputation serves me right, it should for quite some time.