Used 1998 Honda Civic CX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awesome Car
By NPW

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Had no major issues. Had to replace the AC compressor at about 130K. It was a great drive. This was my first new car. I used it till someone else decided that they needed it more than I did and stole it!

Low Cost Reliability The way it drove Gas mileage - got a little above what the rating said

Ten years and still good
By steevo

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 1998 and am surprised at how well it has stood up. Things I've replaced are the timing beltx2, starter, front brake pads (rear drums are original!), water pump, muffler and fluids. Stuff I would expect to replace on a ten year old car. It is just a reliable car that is a bit underpowered but is easy on fuel. I prefer the styling of the hatch and wish the newest hatch would come to north America. The hatch fits a 36" CRT TV.

I really appreciate the clean designed interior. Padded dash and doors, simple controls, tasteful colors means this car still looks good after a decade.

Look for water in the spare tire compartment. Honda did a bad thing and designed the rear body and the rear light to sit right where the water channels off the roof. If the seal between the light and body crushes, water gets in the hatch. A bead of silicone is the fix. Wind noise at the A pillar.

Fun, Reliable, and Efficient
By David

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful car! I got my civic as a hand-me-down. It was my first car and will be my only car for some time. Fuel economy is superb for such a sporty compact. The hatchback is a great model due to its transportation qualities. The D17Y engine isn't exactly the best in it's class, but Honda did put enough work into making it rev extremely high. Put your foot to the floor on a long stretch of road and the automatic transmission down shifts and launches you forward. The air conditioning isn't the best, however, if it is left on long enough at high power it WILL cool the entire car down. My only complaint is that if you drive the car at the top end, fuel economy suffers quite a bit.

Steering is excellent, engines LOVES to be revved, LOTS of after market modifications, easy to add modifications, car runs just like new after 10 years.

A few minor cosmetic additions such as sunroof, power windows/door locks. REALLY wish it had a release for the trunk inside the car. (I plan on adding a custom lock for it)

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

LOVE everything about this car! Presently 135K on the odometer-- hoping to reach at least 300K if not more. Cars runs like new even after 9 years.

Wish the car sat higher off the ground, but this is a minor complaint in the great scheme of things.

Love it!
By Susan

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I love this car so much that I've kept it for 8 years! I'll probably have to get a new car soon, because of space issues in the back seat (it's too difficult for elderly parents to get into the back seat!)

I can see over the dashboard (in some cars I have to sit on a pillow)...the rear window has a defrost feature... the hatchback is great

Somehow make it easier to get into the backseat