1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Awesome Car
By NPW on 02/04/10 06:26 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Had no major issues. Had to replace the AC compressor at about 130K. It was a great drive. This was my first new car. I used it till someone else decided that they needed it more than I did and stole it!

Ten years and still good
By steevo on 08/05/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 1998 and am surprised at how well it has stood up. Things I've replaced are the timing beltx2, starter, front brake pads (rear drums are original!), water pump, muffler and fluids. Stuff I would expect to replace on a ten year old car. It is just a reliable car that is a bit underpowered but is easy on fuel. I prefer the styling of the hatch and wish the newest hatch would come to north America. The hatch fits a 36" CRT TV.

Fun, Reliable, and Efficient
By David on 04/22/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful car! I got my civic as a hand-me-down. It was my first car and will be my only car for some time. Fuel economy is superb for such a sporty compact. The hatchback is a great model due to its transportation qualities. The D17Y engine isn't exactly the best in it's class, but Honda did put enough work into making it rev extremely high. Put your foot to the floor on a long stretch of road and the automatic transmission down shifts and launches you forward. The air conditioning isn't the best, however, if it is left on long enough at high power it WILL cool the entire car down. My only complaint is that if you drive the car at the top end, fuel economy suffers quite a bit.

A Little "Timex" on Wheels!
By Jennifer on 03/08/07 11:59 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

That's right! I call it my little "Timex" because it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I bought this car in March 1998 with 15 miles on it, and had factory AC installed--but aside from that the car was stripped down and completely utilitarian in nature. Love this car because it is a study in simplicity! In the 9 years I have owned this car, NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it and it has never left me stranded. Aside from oil changes, the occasional purchase of new tires, and a new battery, everything else has been regularly scheduled tune-ups, maintenance, or replacement of things such as a new timing belt and a manifold. Great car! Very pleased with the reliability and affordability!

Love it!
By Susan on 07/03/06 11:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I love this car so much that I've kept it for 8 years! I'll probably have to get a new car soon, because of space issues in the back seat (it's too difficult for elderly parents to get into the back seat!)

My 1998 Honda totaled.
By David J. Measer on 10/10/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

In Sept. 2005 a van ran a red light into the passenger door of my Honda. I had 44000 miles on it and consistently got between 30 and 34 miles per gallon. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement

Becca's Civic
By Rebecca on 07/29/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I have had many cars including an Accord. This is the best car by far than any other.

My Cute Honda Civic Hatchback
By Arline Wulfekotter on 04/02/05 08:44 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I always loved the look of the Honda Civic Hatchback and had to buy one. Never any problems with it and always dependable. Only problem was that this style did not come with a sunroof so I had one installed which gives it even a sportier feel. Comfortable to drive and great on gas. Seven years old and still looking great. Hope to pass it on to my daughter soon who also loves to drive it. Only problem I have now is the speedometer quit working. Need to get it repaired soon.

Civic Hatch Challenge
By Tou Chang on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for two months and it's really fun to drive. I wish it had power steering though. The D16Y7 engine isn't all that strong but could use some VTEC. I also wished it had an RPM gauge. I love the exterior design with it's aggressive look. Most of all there are many aftermarket parts to tune-up this little civic to make it one of the best cars to have out there.

Greatest Car To Buy
By jdm-man on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

What an excellent car. 40mpg, plenty of room, performs excellently, no power accesories, very stylish, and most importantly extremely modifiable.